Engine installation in a Formula 292 Fastech

Notices
Formula

Engine installation in a Formula 292 Fastech

Old 04-18-2006, 04:07 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Engine installation in a Formula 292 Fastech

I bougth a Formula 292 Fastech without engines installed, and got 2 new in crate blue scorpion engines as part of the deal. I am currently preparing the install. I will install them together with my local Mercruiser dealer, but he has never worked on a real powerboat like a Formula before and never installed an engine in a boat with solid mounts. He asked me after having looked at the boat whether nuts goes under the engine brackets on the bolt part of the GIL solid mounts, so the engines can be aligned by adjusting the lower nut ? I said to him I don't think so. I only have 4 nuts in a box for the solid mounts so I assume that the engines will have to be lifted directly on top of the Gil mounts and then nuts on top to secure the engines in place ? Is my theory correct ? Any current owners of a Formula 292 that knows how the engines are mounted on the Gil mounts ?
This may sound like a stupid question and I did not pay attention to this when I first saw the boat with old 350 Mags installed. Second time I saw it the engines had been removed.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Engine installation in a Formula 292 Fastech-formulaenginemountreduced.jpg  
Old 04-18-2006, 06:48 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Engine installation in a Formula 292 Fastech

I have an '06 292 with the 6.2 Mercs and there are NO nuts between the engine motor mounts and the GIL mount/bracket. Just the nuts on top. Alignment must be set-up at the factory when they attached the GIL mounts to the thru-bolted stringer mounts. Good luck on your project!
Dave
Old 04-18-2006, 07:33 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You will need an alignment tool. If you can get the motors in the boat with this guy then I would with out a doubt take the boat to some one that has performed an alignment with this type of set up to have that part done.

Jon
Old 04-18-2006, 07:49 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Audiofn
You will need an alignment tool. If you can get the motors in the boat with this guy then I would with out a doubt take the boat to some one that has performed an alignment with this type of set up to have that part done.

Jon
I agree...but did you notice where he is from! Not sure any of us can recommend someone.
Good Luck

BTW: Formula tech support is second to none. They may be able to give you the info/specs you need to complete the installation.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:10 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys. We will check alignment after having installed the engines, and in case they are not aligned we will have figure out what to do. Thanks again.