242LS 65mph - how to get there?

Notices
Formula

242LS 65mph - how to get there?

Old 05-02-2006, 10:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 242LS 65mph - how to get there?

Looks like I'll have the 242LS for another season (or two).

The stock 454 magnum (with 22 Bravo prop) pushes the boat to 56mph GPS with two people and 1/2 fuel. At that speed I'm at about 4800rpms. I'd like to see 65mph. I've read that some owners with stock power see 60mph but I'm not even close...

I'm thinking about upgrading the stock motor with exhaust, cam, roller rockers...perhaps even heads, intake and carb.
With more power I'll probably need a different prop.

I've read that the stock ignition is pretty good. On the other hand one idea might be to just get a 502 long block. I've read a number of threads on OSO about upgrading 454 mags...seem like there are many options and opinions.

But first things first. Has anyone with a 242LS upgraded the exhaust? I've read the threads about exhaust on 272s and 311s but it looks like exhaust on those boats exit at a different angle. If I upgrade the cam, I need to get the right exhaust? Which one?
Attached Thumbnails 242LS 65mph - how to get there?-dsc00477.jpg  
Old 05-02-2006, 12:33 PM
Registered

Default Re: 242LS 65mph - how to get there?

Chuck,
I had a 242 SS with a 454/350hp (rebuilt) and the most I could ever get was 53 MPH . I went over and over upgrading the engine with cam, exhaust etc etc. or repower it with a 502. The quickest and most simple upgrade (since my motor was relatively fresh) was to supercharge it. Although upgrading the exhaust was not mandatory, I felt like I would still have to do that to prevent future problems and a new prop (now you have to figure out which one!). By the time I was done with the upgrades, whether I did a H/C/I or Supercharger upgrade, I would've spent several thousands of dollars (up to $10k depending on which route I took).

Then, I figured out how much I would have had in the boat PLUS the upgrades....

So, you know which option I went with for my 65 MPH need for speed? Neither! I sold it and bought a 1990 292 SR 1 with 454 mags and now I got 70+ MPH, better ride, much more room, the security of twin engines and a much better investment (meaning I would not have been into a 242 for close to $30k that was only worth $22k, at the time. I felt like I was better off putting my money into a bigger, faster boat).

I'm not trying to sell you anything, even though my 292 is for sale! I'm just letting you know that I had the EXACT same situation several years ago before I bought my 292.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:22 PM
Registered

formula1,

That's exactly my dilemna. My back of the envelope calculations tell me that my fuel and storage costs would double, plus a bigger boat payment. At some point it might be less expensive to just get out of boating altogether and spend the money on cocaine and hookers.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:50 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Chuck, getting 65mph out of a 242 will take a little work. Mopower is working with one of his friends in putting in a 540 in his 242 I believe, maybe Mo will chime in. I would think if you want that speed you will need to do some big Hp to do it. Another thought is to Procharge it you would get an easy 10 mph from what I have heard. Plus exhaust upgrade and prop, maybe a steering up grade?

Oh ya alot more gas
Old 05-02-2006, 07:27 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok Masi , here I am. My buddy has a 91 242 with a 502 mag (415 crank HP , 390 prop). Best prop was a labbed 24 Bravo I. Got an honest 62 GPS at 5000/5100 rpm.
We're just about finished the install of a warmed over HP 500 , now 509 cu in and dynoed 535 hp.
We're figuring 68 but of course hoping for 70. I seriously doubt you will ever see 65 with easy bolt on stuff on a 454 . Keep iin mind , by todays standards , you have a 26' boat , since they count the swim platform .
I know another guy with an 89 /454/242 and he claims 55 mph.
Attached Thumbnails 242LS 65mph - how to get there?-dsc01482-medium-.jpg   242LS 65mph - how to get there?-dsc01524-medium-.jpg   242LS 65mph - how to get there?-dsc01533-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by mopower; 05-02-2006 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:31 PM
Registered

Let me tell ya, I spent HOURS working out the details for making more power in my 242. At that time, Chevrolet had some pretty good deals on the 502/502 crate motor and in the end, that was what I had my sights set on. We figured we'd have to "marinize" it, then put exhaust (CMI), Ignition, performance marine carb, a few props and a few other items totaling close to $10k. Of course, you could deduct $2k or so for the sale of the working 454 in the boat. That's what I figured it would take to get into the mid 60's. Luckily, Mopower is in agreement! For all the aggrevation and lost boating time, $8k is alot of extra boat payment! If your payment went up $100 per month, that would mean instead of shelling it all out at once, you got the difference already covered for the next 80 months! Probably by then, ready to upgrade again! Otherwise, you'll never get your money back out of that upgrade (if that is important to you. Because you did say you weren't ready to move up YET!).
Old 05-03-2006, 07:02 AM
Registered

I had an 85' 242 with twin small blocks, and saw 63/64 on GPS consistently.

Cuda had one too and was getting the same speeds I believe.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:51 AM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by formula1
Let me tell ya, I spent HOURS working out the details for making more power in my 242. At that time, Chevrolet had some pretty good deals on the 502/502 crate motor and in the end, that was what I had my sights set on. We figured we'd have to "marinize" it, then put exhaust (CMI), Ignition, performance marine carb, a few props and a few other items totaling close to $10k. Of course, you could deduct $2k or so for the sale of the working 454 in the boat. That's what I figured it would take to get into the mid 60's. Luckily, Mopower is in agreement! For all the aggrevation and lost boating time, $8k is alot of extra boat payment! If your payment went up $100 per month, that would mean instead of shelling it all out at once, you got the difference already covered for the next 80 months! Probably by then, ready to upgrade again! Otherwise, you'll never get your money back out of that upgrade (if that is important to you. Because you did say you weren't ready to move up YET!).

Then again , there is the "wife factor" . Usually much easier to justify "repair" of what you already have , than it is to buy a new one . Most wives will know what another one will cost , but have no idea what parts are worth as long as you have a private slush fund .
Formula1 is right , you'll probably never get out of it what you put in. I know I could own a 1999 30 footer with stock 502s for what I have invested in my 10 year older 3 foot smaller 272.
Now that we've talked about all the negatives , how about the positives.

1. Present boat may be paid for.
2. Personally , I'd rather have a nice(regardless of year) that's really bad a$$.
3. Save your old engine(s) and if trouble arises you have a spare(s).

Hope this doesn't totally confuse you
Old 05-03-2006, 08:06 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

It's easy Chuck. Bulldog from the club is going to build natural engines for his Fountain. Buy one of his 850 blower motors, fill up with 93, and you are good.

Oh, might want to pick up a spare Bravo while you are at it

My .02- Keep it the way it is until you are able to move it and move up. Virtually anything you do to go faster will also increase fuel burn and like these guys said, you won't get your money back out. Now if you can find a nice 502 MPI for cheap, you might at least get in the 60's and fuel burn will be better, not worse at cruise. But you still are not likely to recoup the cost when you sell.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:08 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by mopower
Then again , there is the "wife factor" . Usually much easier to justify "repair" of what you already have , than it is to buy a new one . Most wives will know what another one will cost , but have no idea what parts are worth as long as you have a private slush fund .

We really are sick and warped about this boat stuff aren't we?

Quick Reply: 242LS 65mph - how to get there?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.