Strainer and Water questions >

Strainer and Water questions

Notices
Formula

Strainer and Water questions

Old 03-26-2007, 12:51 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 302 came from the factory with bronze strainers, I think they are Gils. It was all part of the Kaama package.

I don't believe that pickup tube running through the drive amounts to a hill of beans for cooling, compared to the whole leg emersed in water. On a Bravo, I'd probably run it to a drive shower if I went to transom mount intakes.

If drives depended on the water pick up tube to cool the drive, how do Trs survive so long? There is no provision for water pickups in the drives at all.
Attached Thumbnails Strainer and Water questions-3-23-004-small-.jpg  
Old 03-27-2007, 12:12 AM
Registered

Garrett

That is the same spot I put mine. You need a valve in front of it to be able to turn off the water since they are lower than the water level. It would be safer with those. People have had the tops break before! You never know.....
Old 03-27-2007, 07:46 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
Garrett

That is the same spot I put mine. You need a valve in front of it to be able to turn off the water since they are lower than the water level. It would be safer with those. People have had the tops break before! You never know.....
Nort,

What brand of strainers did you use?

Any shots of the mounting brackets and hose routing?

Thanks,

Chris
Old 03-27-2007, 05:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RedDog382
Nort,

What brand of strainers did you use?

Any shots of the mounting brackets and hose routing?

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris......no I don't have that. When I think of it...I'll snap some shots. I forget who made them....but I know they are blue!
Old 03-27-2007, 05:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Chris......no I don't have that. When I think of it...I'll snap some shots. I forget who made them....but I know they are blue!
Thanks, Nort. Whenever you have time between diaper changes!

Hope the baby, mom, and dad are doing well!
Old 03-28-2007, 12:16 AM
Registered

Garrett

I know. I plan to add the valves on the input side soon. It also makes it easier to clean them on the water if needed, without watching the bilges fill up with water.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by cuda
My 302 came from the factory with bronze strainers, I think they are Gils. It was all part of the Kaama package.

I don't believe that pickup tube running through the drive amounts to a hill of beans for cooling, compared to the whole leg emersed in water. On a Bravo, I'd probably run it to a drive shower if I went to transom mount intakes.

If drives depended on the water pick up tube to cool the drive, how do Trs survive so long? There is no provision for water pickups in the drives at all.
Well there isn't a water pickup in a #6 drive either, but I don't think #6 drive lifetime has anything to do with Bravo lifetime any more than I think TRS lifetime has anything to do with Bravo lifetime, water pickup or not. I'm positive that drive lifetime has a lot more to do with other design decisions besides water pickups.

I'd agree that the lower unit being in the water will do more cooling than the water going up the top inside. Personally, I've never tested the temps with and with out water being picked up at the drive. I wouldn't want to bet money on it either way. I never really pursued it since I never planned to block the drive pickups. Your mileage may vary.

I like your drive shower idea.

Garrett
Old 03-28-2007, 07:48 PM
Banned

Generally, you aren't running the lowers when out of the water, but I still don't doubt that just air flowing over the drive when out of the water cools it more than a small tube running up the center of it.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:37 AM
Registered

Default Here's some pics

Finally got some pics for you guys.

The top left photo is the starboard side strainer. The water inlet is at the top and on the bow end of the strainer easily visble here. The pressure relief valve is also on the front and is barely visible right below the clamp holding the hose on the strainer. The output on the starboard strainer is a straight fitting going straight towards the stern. The hose makes a 180 into the raw water pump which is on the far right of the engine (left side and not visible in the photo.)

The second photo shows the Port side strainer. Both water hoses go in the stern side of the port strainer.

The third photo is also of the port strainer taken down between the engines. The top red hose is connected to a 90 degree fitting taking water into the top of the strainer. The bottom red hose comes out of the strainer with a straight fitting and does a loop back into the raw water pump which is also visible in the photo.

BTW, all those drops of oil and runs of oil is what happens when you leave the engine oil fill cap off one of the engines for a long run. I still don't have it all cleaned up.
Attached Thumbnails Strainer and Water questions-dscn1400.jpg   Strainer and Water questions-dscn1401.jpg   Strainer and Water questions-dscn1402.jpg  

Last edited by FormulaM2Formula; 04-09-2007 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Added explanation of photos
Old 04-09-2007, 12:38 AM
Registered

Default More pics

Some More - Don't look at my dirty bilge.

This is the starboard strainer again.
Attached Thumbnails Strainer and Water questions-dscn1403.jpg  

Last edited by FormulaM2Formula; 04-09-2007 at 12:47 AM. Reason: added photo explanation

Quick Reply: Strainer and Water questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.