Notices
Formula

More Thunder Less Silent

Old 08-09-2006, 08:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: More Thunder Less Silent

Actually "rambunctious " here

before you cut big hoes in your show surface of yoru swim platform , I have two other options

1)

remove or cut out the baffle plates that are about 5" from teh square tips. I did this with a very long saw zall blade, through the square tip openings. start at teh bottom ( 1" gap exists, cut up, over, and down, like a dog house hole.

this makes it louder, but still muffled
I like that option better, too...I think!

So, what is behind the "baffle"? When I open the flapper, is the "baffle" the "wall" of fiberglass you see there? I appears that the exhaust has to be directed UNDER that so-called "baffle". What you are proposing is to straighten out the exhaust flow from having to go under the "baffle" to straight thru the "baffle" and maybe a little exhaust may still find its way under the "baffle" as that part will not be cut out.

Could you use a holesaw to just cut out a decent size circle?

And in the end, this process doesn't really help performance, only makes the boat sound better, right?
Old 08-09-2006, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are the pics of the mod that I did to the underside of the swim platform. These holes are not visiblewhen in the water and running. Only visible when on a lift from underneath or on a rack.

Results are not only louder exhaust, but any relief of backpressure for the exhaust is always a good thing.
Attached Thumbnails More Thunder Less Silent-boat-023.jpg   More Thunder Less Silent-boat-024.jpg   More Thunder Less Silent-boat-025.jpg  

Old 08-09-2006, 10:10 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

So, what is behind the "baffle"? When I open the flapper, is the "baffle" the "wall" of fiberglass you see there? I appears that the exhaust has to be directed UNDER that so-called "baffle". What you are proposing is to straighten out the exhaust flow from having to go under the "baffle" to straight thru the "baffle" and maybe a little exhaust may still find its way under the "baffle" as that part will not be cut out.
yes. but the hole saw size is what you can get past the square tip
I had tried that first, had a dull hole saw. birned my finger touching it. then went to a long blade and the project was done in 30 seconds.

the baffle is this fiberglass wall. the silent thunder patnet is the exhaust bubbling under this wall.
cut the wall out and it will sound better.
no perf improvement

Ramb
Old 08-09-2006, 11:18 PM
Registered

Thanks, Ramb!
Old 08-10-2006, 11:43 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Treads
Here are the pics of the mod that I did to the underside of the swim platform. These holes are not visiblewhen in the water and running. Only visible when on a lift from underneath or on a rack.

Results are not only louder exhaust, but any relief of backpressure for the exhaust is always a good thing.
treads,

If the boat is stationery and is being subjected to back swell is there any chance that water could be ingested into the motors now there is more chance of water entering the platform because of the holes?
Old 08-10-2006, 12:05 PM
Registered

If the boat is stationery and is being subjected to back swell is there any chance that water could be ingested into the motors now there is more chance of water entering the platform because of the holes?
Good Question!
Old 08-10-2006, 08:42 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

in my opinion, it isn't any more chance than a classic flat transom boat with short thru hull tips and no swim platform.

the formula thru hulls do have butterflys at the transom , but mine, like many others have mentioned, are burned out.
there is a decent slope to the exhaust, especially at waterline angle of these boats when floating.

ramb
Old 08-11-2006, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Waterfoul,

I would agree, no worse than thru exhaust without platform.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:10 PM
Registered

I don't think the holes in the bottom would pose much of a problem, but cutting out the baffles seem like they could!
Old 08-12-2006, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink Re: More Thunder Less Silent

Originally Posted by formula1
I don't think the holes in the bottom would pose much of a problem, but cutting out the baffles seem like they could!
I removed my baffles and cut drilled 3 more 5/8 holes in the bottom of my box and have not had an issue With that being said i do take it easy when coming off plane.

Quick Reply: More Thunder Less Silent

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.