New to OSO, interested in knowledge... >

New to OSO, interested in knowledge...

Notices
Formula

New to OSO, interested in knowledge...

Old 08-22-2006, 02:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New to OSO, interested in knowledge...

Hi All,

I'm interested in purchasing a 1989 Formula 242 LS, with a 502ci, 400hp, with 350hrs., 1997 aluminum trailer, mint condition. The boat was used in fresh water only, orig. owner, boat looks pristine. After reading various threads on this site, I'm very confident in the Formula line. My questions to you, what should I look out for? What additional questions should I be asking aside from the obvious, engine, outdrive, are there any electrical issues, it was nice to read that Formula is not built with any wood in the hull. So no need to worry about rot, with the exception of the swim platform. I look forward to your replies and hope to soon be a Formula Owner... RJ2006
Old 08-22-2006, 03:16 PM
Registered

Default Re: New to OSO, interested in knowledge...

Hey,
nice one, good to see your lookin for a Formula, i think they're great, by far the best lookin boat on the water and i dont just mean the new ones but all the older ones too especially with the curved screen.

I got a 91' 311-sr1 and the one thing i noticed the most was screws coming loose in the cabin, engine bay, rub rail and basically everywhere. over the years they do get subjected to a lot of vibration and things generally start loosening up so check everywhere, it's not a bad thing but if you find things are still tight then it shows the previous owners have been looking after it.

Obviously check mechanicals, engines need compression tests, check oils for any sign of contamination and check drive for any play and in the steering.

There is quite a lot of things to check it's difficult to remember everything but definately check the receipts. What has been spent on the boat/mechanicals. that gives you a good indication if previous owners have looked after it!!

Good Luck!!!
Old 08-22-2006, 03:35 PM
Registered

Thanks Blitz. I'm thinking of having a professional evaluation done by a third party, any thoughts? The boat is located out of my state and would be difficult to get to. I'm thinking that would be the best move. My only concern, is that the owner would pay the guy off a couple hundred dollars to get rid of the boat. Thanks
Old 08-22-2006, 03:47 PM
Registered

Rj,

yeah probably a good idea to get a proffesional survey done but make sure you use a reputable company or individual. you could always arrange for you to be present while he does the survey so that gives you a good bit of time to look over the boat as well!!

I didn't get anyone to look at my 311 before i bought it, i just bought it sold as seen so i was going into the unknown...but i did get it for a bargain. However i bust a drive shaft in one of my drives the other day but that wouldn't have been picked up in the survey unless the person had X-ray eyes!! I just got to deal with it.

deffo worth getting a survey done on the boat & mechanicals tho!!
Old 08-22-2006, 04:32 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just what Blitz said...get a survey , particularly since it is 17 years old. I had it done on an 89 Formula 3 states away before I bought it. Saved my azz . Surveyor didn't find anything terrible but did have a few issues that I would rather walk away from than have to explain to the next owner when I would sell it. Definitely worth the $325 I spent. BTW a I know two guys with 242LS's 1 an '89 and a '91. Real nice boats

Last edited by mopower; 08-22-2006 at 07:12 PM.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:53 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rj2006
it was nice to read that Formula is not built with any wood in the hull. So no need to worry about rot, with the exception of the swim platform. RJ2006
Welcome to the board RJ. You've picked a good model to start out with. However, don't get too excited about "no wood". There's all kinds of wood in an '89 Formula. The stringers, keel, seat bottoms, most of the cabin,,,,,,, all wood. Formula was using good pressure treated stuff, but it is still wood and it does rot.

Check for delamination of the glass at the stringers and bulkheads. It will be hard to detect if it's just starting to go south but if the boat has been left out and uncovered for long periods, there's a good chance you could have issues.

Not trying to scare you off, just inform you. Pretty much all boats were built with wood back then. But, Formula did it as good as any and better than most.

Getting away from the wood issue,,,,,,,,,,,, check the drive bellows (shift cable, u-joint boot, etc) real well with the drive all the way up. Any cracks or deterioration of any sort will haunt you. Once in the water, stick your head down in the back of the engine bay and look for leakage from those bellows.

Good luck, hope it works out for you.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:30 AM
Registered

Thanks eveyone for you advice and suggestions. I will plan on getting a survey done on the boat before purchase. I look forward to more posts and reading on this site, it's very informative. RJ