Oil in bilge, how much is too much? >

Oil in bilge, how much is too much?

Notices
Formula

Oil in bilge, how much is too much?

Old 08-24-2006, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil in bilge, how much is too much?

Got some engine compartment pics of 272s I'm considering. The "clean starboard" engine has become my benchmark, but the other pics are closer to what I can afford.
Seeing the oil in that bilge gives me concern, or is it possibly just a careless/lazy oil change? I haven't asked the owner yet, wanted to get some opinions here first in case he decides to blow smoke...heh.
Supposedly the holley carbs are "marine" carbs, on top of Edlebrock manifolds. But one of the motors is 25hrs new.

EDIT: Two different engine compartments, added more pic descriptions.

Thanks for any insight,
Michael
Attached Thumbnails Oil in bilge, how much is too much?-clean-starboard-blue-272.jpg   Oil in bilge, how much is too much?-port-motor.jpg   Oil in bilge, how much is too much?-oil-bilge.jpg  

Last edited by handfulz28; 08-24-2006 at 09:23 AM.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:17 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Oil in bilge, how much is too much?

As for the red button on the engine, its a reset for the ingnition system I believe.

As for the fairly ratty looking wiring in one of the pics, Mercruisers originally came with a wimpy, flimsy little plastic cover that concealed the wiring near the reset button. Years of engine heat usually crinkle those little plastic covers into useless appendages. Then, when you need to move the cover to access any of that wiring, it breaks or crumbles in your hand.

That wiring can be easily dressed and taped and made to look much better, not a biggie.

As for the grungy bilge,,,,, well,,,,, that's usually not a good indication. Either some thing is leaking (most probable) or the owner is a slob, or both. I would say the engine is weeping all over the place. Not necessarily a reliability issue but its also not optimal either. Pan gaskets, valve covers, front/rear main seals, oil cooler lines, oil senders, all are possible sources of leakage. Even if an engine has a few leaks, it doesn't take much initiative or money to keep some absorbent mats in there to keep the mess to a minimum until such time as repairs can be made.

Personally, I'd be pretty hesitant to buy a boat with a bilge that looked like that. Unless of course, your getting a steal of a deal and are prepared to go through it.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:18 PM
Registered

Thanks Third.
I forgot the original motor is still in there, 750+ hours, so I've got to imagine it's weeping a bit. He said the place that changed the motor last season left the boat a complete mess too, so I guess I'll have to see it in person.
If the worse thing is a 20yr old motor weeping a bit of oil, I'll say this one will be a helluva deal. Still gotta see it in person.

Thanks,
Michael
Old 08-25-2006, 01:27 PM
Registered

Personally, I'd be pretty hesitant to buy a boat with a bilge that looked like that. Unless of course, your getting a steal of a deal and are prepared to go through it.

I agree with Thirdbird!

Good luck!
Old 08-25-2006, 08:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Holy Crap, thats a lot of oil in the bilge, I would be quite skeptical about that, Definatly not a true formula owner, Most are quite anal about keeping them clean.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 366 Likes on 245 Posts

if bilge is that dirty, of course there could be a leak. Or many leaks! I would not buy it without having a compression test done on it and a leak down test. if engine compresses in it's crankcase or something like that, it's a good reason why gaskets would break and leak. Be very careful cause you could have to spend from 3500$ to 7-8000$ to get 2 engines rebuilt. Believe me I know all this!