Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Formula
Finally got friends 98 353 in water today,great results!!! >

Finally got friends 98 353 in water today,great results!!!

Notices
Formula

Finally got friends 98 353 in water today,great results!!!

Old 09-27-2006, 04:58 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts
Default Re: Finally got friends 98 353 in water today,great results!!!

Nice avatar,you have a great photographer!!
Old 09-30-2006, 04:00 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Re: Finally got friends 98 353 in water today,great results!!!

Scott,
See what happens when you listen to the engine builder!Nice to see it come together so great! Boat looks awesome! I told ya it would be well with the wait , do it right the first time!Again nice job and I am glad we could be a part of your success! Thanks again for your business and support over the years! It is a pleasure to work with you!

p.s. just keep the questions under 100 per visit! JK

Dean Gellner

Last edited by mrhorsepower1; 10-03-2006 at 05:51 AM.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by LAKE EFFECT
Looks like I might have to start crying the Bravo blues. Took the boat out on Monday after making a couple carb. and timing adjustments, put on the second set of props that came with the boat, and made a few loops around the bay. I saw a 97mph on the speedo, and was going to go for a cruise on the lake. At around 60mph, the port motor started to free rev, turns out I broke the prop shaft right at the bearing carrier. Talked to Jim at Dubberts, and he said while its not as common as twisting the Bravo shafts, he has seen them break there!!. The drives are early Imco extremes, with welded upper gears, a 1" shorter lower cases and shafts, and the rest are stock Bravo. I did pick up a used shaft and new bearing carrier from him though. Pulling it home tommorrow to fix the drive, decals and a couple other things on the list. If all goes well, I'll bring it back out on Sunday. I'm not ready to give up on this season yet. I would love to have one whole weekend on it before I break out the antifreeze.
What carbs are you running? Im getting ready to install prochargers on my 500s and am trying to decide on barbs.
Thanks
Old 10-05-2006, 12:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jryan26
I'm running the 800cfm Holley/Merc carbs with some basic upgrades(nitrophyl floats, .140" bottom feed needle/seats,milled choke horn, epoxyed choke rod hole). I also built what I thought was a fuel system with plenty of overkill(Aeromotive A1000 pump, custom 5/8" fuel pickups, #10 s/s braided feed, #8 s/s braided return line dumping back into the 3/8 npt factory tank bungs, 1:1 boost referencing Mallory pressure regulator). The pumps came with the boat(as did the blowers), and talking to Aeromotive I thought the pumps would handle the job. After some research I am realizing the 500 lbs/hr rating these pumps have is only borderline to keeping 750/800hp blown motors happy. A good rule of thumb for BSFC(brake specific fuel consumption) with a blown application is .6(lbs/hr=bsfc x bhp)(.6 x 800=480lbs/hr), which means the A1000 pumps are just big enough. The reason I am typing all this is, if you didnt already buy the fuel system that comes with the Prochargers, dont!. While I love the blowers and all the power, the fuel system that comes with the blowers sucks. I pulled out around 50ft of 1/2" and 3/8" rubber hose, tees, factory Merc fuel filters, fuel coolers and other misc crap. If you want a blower motor to live you need a good fuel system. My boat had blown up the starboard motor twice, and I believe it was part to the fuel system. I talked to PC Carbs(www.performancecarburetors.com) a couple of times, and will be sending him my carbs or buying a set from him this winter because there is mods that need to be done to the metering plates and other circuits to keep everything safe. Time and budget kept me from doing it yet, and I hope I dont regret it. I also opted to go with bonnets instead of the carb boxes that came from Procharger. The bonnets will produce more power, make it easier to tune the carbs, and look a ton better. The only safety concern that arises from the bonnets is the possibility of fuel seapage past the throttle shafts(which wont happen @5lbs of boost), but can be eliminated by having the throttle shafts sealed/o-ringed. There is alot of info I learned putting this boat together, and I'm sure alot more to be learned. If I could help you out, give me a call @ 216-214-2462 or 440-888-0563 Scott

Last edited by LAKE EFFECT; 10-06-2006 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:38 PM
Registered

Thanks Scott. There is not alot of info on carb'd prochargers out there.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:45 PM
Registered

Hey Scott
Any updates on the 353?
Old 01-11-2007, 06:03 PM
Registered

I have been playing it lazy since I winterized it in Nov. Now that the holidays are over, I need to get the carbs sent out, upgrade the fuel pumps, and figure out what Im going to do with the drives. Im sure Ill be posting more the closer it gets to spring.
Scott
Old 01-14-2007, 01:52 PM
Registered

I ended up buying plain old barry grant 750 blow through carbs. I think they have all of the necessary components for the hat application. 2 of these cost 1100. 1 carb from pc was 900. What jets are you using?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-M...spagenameZWDVW

Last edited by jryan26; 01-14-2007 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:29 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Man you are putting out way to much HP for Bravo's.... IMO any version of them. I would go to a larger # drive or Konrads....

Jon
Old 01-17-2007, 08:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jryan26
I ended up buying plain old barry grant 750 blow through carbs. I think they have all of the necessary components for the hat application. 2 of these cost 1100. 1 carb from pc was 900. What jets are you using?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-M...spagenameZWDVW
I cant remember the exact size, 98/90's I think, talking to PC, just putting in big jets is not the correct way of doing it. I guess there is some massaging or maybe even replacing of the metering plates that needs to be done. I think they make them annular boosters, and tune the air bleeds as well. I'm going to send them my 800's. They said somewhere around $450 per carb to make them true blow thru, I'm hoping a little less since I already milled the air horns, put in there needle/seats, and nitrophyl floats.

Scott

Quick Reply: Finally got friends 98 353 in water today,great results!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.