Freshwater flushing & silent thunder

Notices
Formula

Freshwater flushing & silent thunder

Old 10-23-2006, 10:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Freshwater flushing & silent thunder

I just finished an awesome weekend on the 292! This boat runs like a swiss watch! I love it (despite my attempt to sell it...why? I don't know )!

Anyway, while flushing out the engines at the marina, the forklift operator chased me down and said it looks like I have a water pump impeller going bad because there wasn't much water coming out of the two holes on the starboard side of the silent thunder platform. The port side 2 holes were pouring out more water than I have ever seen! Are the two sides isolated? I thought it was one big chamber.

PS. While driving the boat into work this morning, the engines were at perfect operating temperature...
Old 10-23-2006, 06:48 PM
Registered

Default Re: Freshwater flushing & silent thunder

Originally Posted by formula1
I just finished an awesome weekend on the 292! This boat runs like a swiss watch! I love it (despite my attempt to sell it...why? I don't know )!

Anyway, while flushing out the engines at the marina, the forklift operator chased me down and said it looks like I have a water pump impeller going bad because there wasn't much water coming out of the two holes on the starboard side of the silent thunder platform. The port side 2 holes were pouring out more water than I have ever seen! Are the two sides isolated? I thought it was one big chamber.

PS. While driving the boat into work this morning, the engines were at perfect operating temperature...
I believe the engines ar seperate but there is an equalizer tube between them. My guess on the difference on water is that maybe the thermostat on the one with lesser water had already closed.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by formula1
While driving the boat into work this morning, ...
Did I read that correctly? Living that dream...
Well I was hoping someone way more experienced would chime in, but I think it is just one big baffle and there's no problem with the motors. It might be an indication of something weird with the platform though. I think I've noticed something similar on mine.
You can see in the pic that a few seals/gaskets are starting to seperate so I'm going to pull it apart and see what it's like in there. If you look directly under the right exhaust outlet, just to the right of the mounting bolt, there's a small angle bracket trying to get out of that drain hole. Hopefully I can get it out through the exhaust outlet, but if not, guess I'll just have to break out the hole saw kit and enlarge those holes like everybody has done
I'm going through some learning pains, moreso than if I had bought yours I'm sure, but I can't complain.

Thanks,
Michael
Attached Thumbnails Freshwater flushing & silent thunder-000_0315.jpg  
Old 10-24-2006, 12:37 PM
Registered

Did I read that correctly? Living that dream...
IT'S AWESOME!

About the swim platform, I think the guy was overly concerned. The more I think about it, the temperature was perfect all day Sunday (and we ran it too! ) as well as for my morning commute! He must just be looking out for me. I seem to recall the Silent Thunder platform is one big hollow chamber. Maybe the boat was tilted slightly while on the forklift...
Old 10-24-2006, 12:42 PM
Registered

I'm going through some learning pains, moreso than if I had bought yours I'm sure, but I can't complain.
Yeah, you are probably right. Good luck with your 311. I'll help you out when I can (since our boats are basically the same). I think about selling my boat only when I don't get out on it enough! Then, I think to myself, what the hell was I thinking when I thought of selling this boat?!! It just runs and performs better than new!
Old 10-26-2006, 08:18 PM
Registered

You may want to check the water flow thru the exhaust. I have a 88' 223LS 7.4L merc and Silent Thunder exhaust. My mechanic notice my exhaust tubes were collapsed a little and when he pulled them off the inner walls had separated restricting the air flow. The cause was the exhaust system was overheating. The engine temp was normal at all times but what tipped him off was the reduced water flow out of the swim platform. The water that did come out was very hot. The overall cause was restricted water flow caused by rust partially clogging the manifold. Just may want to check that to rule it out.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:25 AM
Registered

Thanks for the tip Lakebound, but the whole exhaust & cooling system is new!
Old 10-27-2006, 02:22 PM
Registered

I would pull the impeller just to make sure. I normally get lots of water from both sides, even at idle, and when I lost an impeller this summer there was no water coming out the starboard side at all. If you haven't changed impellers within the last 18 months you're due anyway.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:49 AM
Registered

Impellers were changed 8 WEEKS ago! I'm going to give it a run tomorrow and see what is up. Like I said earlier, it looked as if the water from the starboard side somehow migrated to the port side before dumping out of the little holes!
Old 10-30-2006, 06:27 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

the older ST's are common ( water can flow from one side to the other) I bet the newer types are similar ...Any chance the boat was not level on the lift or wash rack ? If it was not level the water might flow to the lower end of the box...m