Silent Thunder removal on newer FasTechs

Notices
Formula

Silent Thunder removal on newer FasTechs

Old 06-28-2010, 01:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know now why to remove the ST.

Da*n the vibration noise it makes. On the rare occasion that it stops for a second, you can hear the sweet sound of the engines. And then it starts again... Grr..

I'm on the market for a set of clamp-ons right now. Let me know if you see a good deal my way.

Btw I'm allready running 30P's.
I'ts standard with 377 Scorpions.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:46 PM
Registered

Default Silent Thunder Remove / Tips

Fastech 353 with pair of 500's. I have a huge hole in the bottom of the ST box. Not sure if to patch this hole or switch to tips.

My concern is the labor to remove the raw tips and replace them with Corsa CC .. wow -- that is a lot of work in 100 degree weather. I was hoping for more of a slip-over chrome tip with a flapper valve that can be installed in minutes? Anyone heard of this?

What happens if I run this with the hole? Funds are a little short to be buying $1000 in Corsa CC diverters.

So if I get all these posts right ... I can pull off the ST box with a few bolts and so tugging. --- then there are unpolished stainless tips sticking out about 4" or so. -- I can buy some rubber 4" flappers and clamp them on and be done with it? Is that correct? Or maybe someone has something sexier that clamps on fast.

I will change to Corsa CC when I pull the engines for rebuilding as I have 400+ hours now on HP500's with zero problems. I just don't want the hassle now.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

they are not even 4" long (out) past the flange, but yes enough to get a flapper on.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 374 Posts

can someone point me in the direction of rubber flappers to buy to keep a stock look?

also how long does this mod take...we have a 03 292

does this mod increase the chances of water ingestion?
Old 10-27-2010, 01:38 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I used these when I pulled mine off...

http://us.binnacle.com/p2320/EXHAUST...duct_info.html

Price is right, and you can't even see the tips when it's in the water. My stock tips also had internal flappers, so between the two, I don't think you will have any problems with water ingestion.

Mine took about an hour from start to finish, and one of the blind nuts came loose back in the corner of the swim platform. I had to lay on my side with a long pair of vice grips to get the bolt out, then seal the hole up. Once you get the bolts out, it takes a little encouragement to break it free. And it is HEAVY. A 2 person job for sure.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:03 PM
Registered

I used these when I pulled mine off...

http://us.binnacle.com/p2320/EXHAUST...duct_info.html

Price is right, and you can't even see the tips when it's in the water. My stock tips also had internal flappers, so between the two, I don't think you will have any problems with water ingestion.

Mine took about an hour from start to finish, and one of the blind nuts came loose back in the corner of the swim platform. I had to lay on my side with a long pair of vice grips to get the bolt out, then seal the hole up. Once you get the bolts out, it takes a little encouragement to break it free. And it is HEAVY. A 2 person job for sure.
thanks for the info...did the removal make the boat a lot louder? i think my boat could use a little more noise.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:34 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Before I got my current 353 I had a 312 that didn't have the silent thunder box on and it was pretty loud, but I just dealt with it.
Now the 353 has the normal setup and I like it better (looks better also), it has captains call so I can have it either way I want when I want.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:04 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by moses0324
thanks for the info...did the removal make the boat a lot louder? i think my boat could use a little more noise.
It made it perfect in my opinion. Still very easy to have a conversation, in fact I didn't tell my wife and she didn't even notice until the boat was idling at the dock and she walked behind it. Much better rumble and sounds great when you hit it coming out of the hole. I have Warmed over 454 Mags with Gil exhaust and it sounds great.

Can always slap it back on in an hour or so if you don't like it!
Old 10-27-2010, 05:29 PM
Registered

thanks for the info guys...i think this is a nice little winter project along with a few others...
Old 10-28-2010, 05:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 02 292. Mine is coming off this winter or early spring. Just putting the flappers on. Boat sits low enough in the water probably won't see. Plus lost one of the bolts coming home from my season ending trip.

Quick Reply: Silent Thunder removal on newer FasTechs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.