Question about 353

Notices
Formula

Question about 353

Old 01-02-2007, 11:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Question about 353

For the last 3 years I have been fighting the same thing in my 2001/ 353 496 procharged..For a long time I thought it was the nose cones and prop changes I made.. I like to run very conservative rpm the boat runs 81mph (gps) @ 4800 rpm with 30 pitch bravos....In rough water she runs fairly controllable in flat water same speeds she feels scarey bow steering.. This winter we are removing the engines and changing the pistons and head work also going to 5lb boost. our theory is to take some of the trim out of it and get the back end in the water shooting for a little more control with more drive in the water..One thing I spoke to Formula about was they felt a 5 blade once dialed in would help this situation.. they said the 700 353 had similiar problems the factory hull must not like a ton of trim with hp.... the x dimensions vary from year to year also I have been told this would explain the trim issue. my 2 cents
Old 01-02-2007, 09:35 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

my '98 had the x dimension set the lowest i believe around 2001 the deminision was raised an inch. i keep toying with the thought of installing boxes thinking i could accomplish both raising the x diminision and give the drives more leverage to help carry the bow. having the bottom blueprinted would no doubt be less costly but i hessitate if some hook was designed in?
Old 01-03-2007, 06:45 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

box boats have even higher than the +1" post '01 engine hieght I believe.
So in that scenario, you would need to move the engines up 2 inches minimum (maybe more) to effectively use the boxes and gain anything in terms of carrying the boat or speed.

Lotsa work.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:40 PM
SDH
Registered

Hi quick question to the Formula drivers out there....I am in the market for a new boat and have narrowed it down to the Formula 353Sport and the Donzi35ZR. Any thoughts or comments?

Do any of you feel the Formula hull is out of date and the Donzi which is only 2 years old with a different hull design is worth a serious look? Thank you.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:52 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SDH
Hi quick question to the Formula drivers out there....I am in the market for a new boat and have narrowed it down to the Formula 353Sport and the Donzi35ZR. Any thoughts or comments?

Do any of you feel the Formula hull is out of date and the Donzi which is only 2 years old with a different hull design is worth a serious look? Thank you.
is cabin imprtant?
the ZR cabin is sparse and smaller.

Formula bottom outdated? No

do the latest Donzi bottoms work? Very well from what I understand.

The Donzi is faster on HO's partly/mostly because it is smaller, lighter, and lower profile.

your right on as these two boats are very similar $
Old 01-05-2007, 11:01 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

I can't even sit up straight inside the Donzi. The Donzi will be faster, Formula should be a little better ride. Donzi will have a large storage compartment (the whole cabin), Formula will have a cabin you can overnight in comfortably. Re-sale is good on the Formula, probably will be on the Donzi (not enough history on a 2 year old model and Formulas have ALWAYS had good resale)

most importantly, what's YOUR preference?
Old 01-06-2007, 08:30 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

the two are very different boats. the first thing to do is decide what is most important to you. top speed vs functionality. I always believe in looking at the weight of boats when comparing them as it is an indicator of ride quality and true size. some boat builders seem to stretch the boat when they put the tape measure to it. not saying that the donzi is bad but i think that formua's quality and is somewhat better. my.02
Old 01-06-2007, 12:36 PM
SDH
Registered

353 vs Donzi35ZR-
First thank you for getting back to me with your comments, they are very helpful. On the weight they are within 75 pounds of each other so that is not a major factor. Fit and finish and interior the Formula is the leader. As for function for my needs I live on the water so it will be all day trips, with an occasional over nighter.

True need of your judgment is ride, handling, ease of use. Both are top rated boats, one has the better hull (Donzi) one has the better finish (Formula). Thank you.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:37 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

i believe all the donzi's are staggered setup's that makes them fly a little more level. the donzi's i have been around had thier x dimension set high therefore it took some more effort to get them on plane. that all said i still love my 353 i might give up a few mph but it just does everything right
Old 01-08-2007, 06:52 PM
Where To
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by augie58
... that all said i still love my 353 i might give up a few mph but it just does everything right
I couldn't agree more!!

Dave

Quick Reply: Question about 353

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.