Formula 311 Rub Rail replacement? >

Formula 311 Rub Rail replacement?

Notices
Formula

Formula 311 Rub Rail replacement?

Old 02-22-2007, 06:40 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my 292, the access is under the rear seat, and an access cover in the floor is right over the sending unit. I believe on the other models (272 and 242) the access is limited, but I don't think you should have a problem on your 311.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MOERON
Treads,

I had some errors in my last reply! I have heard that the fuel sending unit is hard to get to for replacement, is that true?
You can't get it out from the engine compartment. I took off my rear seat cushions and used a 3 inch hole saw to cut a hole through the seat bottom right above the sending unit.

It came out perfect; looks like a factory access hole. With the seat cushions back on you can't even see the hole.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I changed my gauges to Gaffrig on my 311 I was able to pull the old fuel sender out part way then cut it in two and remove it. The new Gaffrig sender did not have the old style float arm and went in with no problem. You do have to run a separate ignition powered wire to the new sender in addition to the original sender and ground wires.
I would appreciate any input from someone who has changed their rub rail to white or white/stainless as to what brand they used. I'd like to change mine but it has to look right and cover where the original was.

Last edited by sector; 02-23-2007 at 07:46 AM.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:50 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by dgduck13
No not bad at all. This is the product I used:

SSH-75 Hollow Back Half Oval
12 or 16 Ft.
3/4" Width #8 Hole Size

If you do try this make sure to get the hollow back inserts. The solid back is almost impossible to bend around the corners of the boat. This stuff was easy. Then all you need to do is go to the hardware store and buy some #8 tapered screws.

Don
Don,

I purchased the stainless online but they emailed me and told me it woukd need to be cut down (6' to 8' sections) and the delivery charge changed alot +$45 did they cut this into smaller sections for you and if so did it still work well?

Thanks
Old 02-28-2007, 08:31 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm also curious about the rivets instead of screws/bolts on the silent thunder platform.
I believe that's what's holding the two halves together. Since there is no internal access the rivets were an easy solution.
Also the upper section bears all the weight while the bottom just carries water and exhaust. No need for high strength like a hull to deck joint.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:35 AM
Registered

I see the rub-rail hardware is #8 . . . what length? The Fountain dealer at LOTO sells rubrail in 20ft sections and I am going to do mine this spring. So, I gotta buy a couple of pounds of SS . . . but don't know what length to get. Thanks.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 84 Likes on 32 Posts

Don,

I purchased the stainless online but they emailed me and told me it woukd need to be cut down (6' to 8' sections) and the delivery charge changed alot +$45 did they cut this into smaller sections for you and if so did it still work well?

Thanks
Well I bought mine and had it shipped to a marina that I am good friends with and they brought it in on a truck so it was not cut down. It should work for you thought just make sure that the ends are cut square and clean so they match up.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SeaWeasel
I see the rub-rail hardware is #8 . . . what length? The Fountain dealer at LOTO sells rubrail in 20ft sections and I am going to do mine this spring. So, I gotta buy a couple of pounds of SS . . . but don't know what length to get. Thanks.
Depends on what you are trying to do. Are you replacing the rubrail or just installing the S.S. cap?
Old 03-04-2007, 09:24 PM
Registered

Don,

I got the Stainless you told me to get (hollow back 3/4") what length screws did you use and how did you bend it around the corners (any heat applied) this is thicker than I was expecting.

Thanks
Old 03-04-2007, 10:18 PM
Registered

Don,

I got the Stainless you told me to get (hollow back 3/4") what length screws did you use and how did you bend it around the corners (any heat applied) this is thicker than I was expecting.

Thanks
I used screws that were about 1.5 inches long. Pre drill the rubrail all the way though so the stainless actually mounts to the boat instead of the rubrail. No heat needed it wont do any good. Just use slow and steady pressure to wrap around the corners.

Quick Reply: Formula 311 Rub Rail replacement?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.