Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Formula
Thinking of trading my 40 PC for an SS or 382? >

Thinking of trading my 40 PC for an SS or 382?

Notices
Formula

Thinking of trading my 40 PC for an SS or 382?

Old 06-26-2007, 09:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Relentless, That would be nice... My cousin went up there this year but I have not had a chance to get up there yet... I heard it is very nice as you said but the drive for me is like you. I work a lot down town but live way south so it would be hard for me up there. I have been to busy with work so my boat is still in the heated storage building but I hope to get over there this coming week as I am going to slow down now. I am going to try & go by Balb Knob then as well... Who knows what will happen then? The better half will kill me! lol. Dennis
Old 06-26-2007, 09:26 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by dnsmhny
Magic34, That is not bad at all... What do you pull it with. My brother had the 31 PC & he pulls his back & forth with his Saburban 2500 which does okay but that seams like a lot. I have the Excursion with the desiel so I could pull a lot but the 370 is a heavy boat & the 40 is even more, I would be nervus I guess? Dennis

I bought a 382 late last summer and tried pulling it with our 2500 Suburban......my wife and father both insisted I buy a dually this past winter. It was OK for a couple miles down side roads but the highway was SCARY!!! I can't see a 31PC being a decent tow behind a Burb....no way you could get it done with a 370SS.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:33 PM
Registered

I agree with you 100%, My brother only goes a few miles to put it in for the spring & then back out in the fall. The real scary thing with the 31 PC is the height also plus the weight. That is why I was wondering what he pulled the 370 & the 40 SS with. Ho do you like the 382?
Old 06-26-2007, 09:48 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

I agree with you 100%, My brother only goes a few miles to put it in for the spring & then back out in the fall. The real scary thing with the 31 PC is the height also plus the weight. That is why I was wondering what he pulled the 370 & the 40 SS with. Ho do you like the 382?

We had a 31 fastech and this boat is awesome compared to that one. I bought it with 8 PSI Prochargers on 500EFI's, the boat ran 98 GPS when I picked her up. We built milder regular EFI motors now and haven't finished with set up yet but should still see 85.

Cabin room is big but with 3 kids and overnighting it's still cramped. Thinking of adding a camper canvas to extend our "space" when out on long weekends. I came from cruisers and a part of me misses the cabins but getting to destinations we never could have visited before makes up for the lack of ammenities. (we have the vacu-flush head, A/C, and a Honda genset that runs everything).

I know you've been looking at something faster than the 40 PC. If you had the 370SS or 400SS I might comsider a trade, but if you had either one of those I don't think you'd want to trade!! I figure once I am ready to put in a lift at our place on the water then I'll look into one of the SS models....right now I like the speed and freedom to tow to other bodies of water.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:58 PM
Registered

It sounds nice, Good luck with the new set up. My wife & kids talk me into the 40 PC & it is a very nice boat lie new but man I miss the "speed". I wanted the 40 SS at the time & now they want it also but having the PC for a couple of years makes me... want the 382? lol. I reallt think I should go with the 370 or 40 SS for all reasons after talking with every one on here... The newer ones are moving faster now though? Put in the lift & start looking as you would also do better in the SS with the kids, I have four... If you do add the top it would help out, I had it so my wife & I could sit out there & chat at night which was also nice as you do not get much one on one time with all the kids. Good luck with your new set up, Let me know how they run after you get them dialed in. Dennis
Old 06-26-2007, 10:00 PM
Registered

My wife has MS & this is mostly why I say the SS makes more sense... I was talking with another gentleman on here in one of my post who also has MS & he went from the 382 to the 40 SS & he loves it for all given reasons... What a nice man! Dennis
Old 06-28-2007, 02:54 AM
Registered

Magic34, That is not bad at all... What do you pull it with. My brother had the 31 PC & he pulls his back & forth with his Saburban 2500 which does okay but that seams like a lot. I have the Excursion with the desiel so I could pull a lot but the 370 is a heavy boat & the 40 is even more, I would be nervus I guess? Dennis
Currently, I have a 2006 Chevy 3500 dually. It does OK, actually better than I thought it would. However, I have yet to take it up any steep hills. The guy I bought the boat from delivered it to me from CA with a 2500HD, that would make me nervous. I am looking for a new truck as I usually get a new one once every 12-18 months.

In terms of nervous... The only thing that freaks me out is the height with the radar and satellite. I am having the mounts cut down and I will now be just under 14' with the satellite hinged and radar cut down. The width isn't bad as the widest section is about 8' up off the ground. So cars dont even come close. Tractor trailers, different story.

My brother tows his 40 with a Ford F650 XUV (Excursion looking). It is white and has 4 doors on each side. It has been on many websites and is the only one ever made with 4 doors on each side, the rest have 3. Actually, he doesn't really like how the 650 does and wishes he did something different, but it is way too late now with all the $$ he has in the 650.

If you go the 400SS, you will need a specialized truck to pull it. Meaning, not your typical chevy or ford.

I am looking at the F450 and Freightliner Sportchassis. Whatever you do, stay away from the Chevy 4500-5500, they suck!!!! I had a brand new one ($80k) and got rid of it 8 months later, I hated it! I lost more money on that truck than the past 5 vehicles combined.

I would highly recommend an SS. They are very nice and so far I love mine. I am 28 years old and have had loud fast boats my whole life so far and this is a very nice change and the speed isn't too horrible in terms of being slow.

If you are going to trailer it more than 15-20 miles ever, get the 370. I plan on taking trips up to 350 miles away and the 370 will be much more manageable than the 400.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:56 AM
Registered

Just to give you an idea, my 370ss is 21,500# loaded on the trailer. The 400SS is pushing 24k.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:08 AM
Registered

Seems Like A Ton Of Money To Me, What With Trailers, Trucks, And The Ever Present Sphinter Factor Of Pulling These Biggun's. Has Any One Considered A Professional Carrier? And No, I'm Not In The Business. Just A Thought From A Forum Reader. Naturally, People Will Do What They Want To Do, But I Just Wondered. Interested In Responses.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:59 AM
Registered

I agree with you Jim that is why I was so curious as to what Magic34 was using to pull his boats around... I have hired a carrier before when I have boght different Formula's to bring them home etc... I think he is having a great time & livin the dream... Dennis