Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Formula
OceanOutboards, NY'-Has anyone dealt with them? >

OceanOutboards, NY'-Has anyone dealt with them?

Notices
Formula

OceanOutboards, NY'-Has anyone dealt with them?

Old 05-18-2007, 08:00 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OceanOutboards, NY'-Has anyone dealt with them?

I found a boat at Ocean Outboards in Freeport, NY. Does anyone have experience with this dealer. I've talked to a sales rep and they seem pretty decent and resonable. Just wondering if anyone has any info they'd like to share.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:18 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

I bought my last boat from them....1998 312 fastech. They stated the boat was in very good condition. Although it was OK, I almost didn't buy it. Then I blew a motor after 2 hrs running time. Turns out the boat was taken on trade with a blown motor, they replaced one long block, and sold it to me without disclosing any of that to me. When questioned later the salesman claimed to know nothing about it. (I had tracked own the previous owner). Luckily my mechanic alerted me to the new long block as I had told him to rebuild both.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:37 AM
Registered

Did you used to live in the area? I see that your from VA, thats a hike for a boat. I live outside of Philly, there's a Formula dealer about 2 minutes from my house, Trenton Marine Center, my father used to keep a boat there, good friends with the owner, so I sort of have a connection there. But they don't keep leftovers, and a 07 isn't in my budget. I found a great deal at OceanOutboards, but I'm losing that connection. Sorry about your boat! Don't you hate salesmen?
Old 05-18-2007, 12:07 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Splitdecision271
Did you used to live in the area? I see that your from VA, thats a hike for a boat. I live outside of Philly, there's a Formula dealer about 2 minutes from my house, Trenton Marine Center, my father used to keep a boat there, good friends with the owner, so I sort of have a connection there. But they don't keep leftovers, and a 07 isn't in my budget. I found a great deal at OceanOutboards, but I'm losing that connection. Sorry about your boat! Don't you hate salesmen?

Lived in VA my whole life....I've bought boats from Cleveland, Ft. Lauderdale, Charleston SC, Atlanta, and Long Island. If it's what you want and the deal is good enough.....what's a few hours on the road?

Funny story about going to get that boat:
On the way up I was towing an empty 40 ft trailer I already owned. Got into N. Jersey and stopped to get fuel so I wouldn't need to up there. Someone T-boned my trailer at 50mph. It was jacked up so bad that the front left and right rear were the only 2 tires touching the ground. The guy hit the trailer (at night) right in front of the wheels, license plate hit one of the running lights....but he didn't see it!!! A couple days later the Ins co. goes to inspect the trailer (since i couldn't bring it home) but it was gone STOLEN!!!! I had to drive back up there to file a stolen vehicle report, then a couple weeks later after I got a new trailer drive back to get the boat. All this should have told me not to buy that boat huh?
Old 05-18-2007, 12:08 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Splitdecision271

Lived in VA my whole life....I've bought boats from Cleveland, Ft. Lauderdale, Charleston SC, Atlanta, Long Island, and the current ride came from Alabama. If it's what you want and the deal is good enough.....what's a few hours on the road?

Funny story about going to get that boat:
On the way up I was towing an empty 40 ft trailer I already owned. Got into N. Jersey and stopped to get fuel so I wouldn't need to up there. Someone T-boned my trailer at 50mph. It was jacked up so bad that the front left and right rear were the only 2 tires touching the ground. The guy hit the trailer (at night) right in front of the wheels, license plate hit one of the running lights....but he didn't see it!!! A couple days later the Ins co. goes to inspect the trailer (since i couldn't bring it home) but it was gone STOLEN!!!! I had to drive back up there to file a stolen vehicle report, then a couple weeks later after I got a new trailer drive back to get the boat. All this should have told me not to buy that boat huh?
Old 05-18-2007, 01:07 PM
Registered

I would like to get something close to home so if I do have a problem, knock on wood, that I can take it back to where I got it from. New York is further then I would like to go but, I don't think I'm going to beat this deal.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:45 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

bought a 99 382 from that outfit, with rebuilt 502 mpi,s. weak oil pressure in both motors, pull them and found both engines missing two oil journal plugs missing, silicon sand imbedded in piston skirts and all bearings. needless to say I'm out 30 grand for engine rebuilds. don't buy at ocean outboard.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:07 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by jenks
bought a 99 382 from that outfit, with rebuilt 502 mpi,s. weak oil pressure in both motors, pull them and found both engines missing two oil journal plugs missing, silicon sand imbedded in piston skirts and all bearings. needless to say I'm out 30 grand for engine rebuilds. don't buy at ocean outboard.
I'm thinkning of buying a NEW 05 leftover 271, not used. Still iffy about them though, didn't get a good vibe from the rep I talked too. How were they on price negotiation? I'm hoping the boats still there come early-mid July, 08 models will have dropped, boat shows are going to start, hopefully will be able to use that to my advantage and talk them down in price.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:09 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

I made an offer on mine...it was used. They tried for a week to get me to come up in price. After a week they called and said come get it. If you make an offer just stick to your guns and be patient. They need to sell it worse than you need to buy it.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:52 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do not buy from them, PM / e-mail me me for my reasons.