Bottom Paint Removal?

Notices
Formula

Bottom Paint Removal?

Old 05-25-2007, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Bottom Paint Removal?

I came across a 271 Formula Fastech at a dealer not far from me. The only problem is that it has black bottom paint on her. NOT A FAN OF BOTTOM PAINT! Has anyone been successful at removing bottom paint. Easy? Difficult? Expensive? Any info would be helpful, to see if this is a project that is even worth consideration.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Removing bottom paint is a horrible job if you try to do it yourself. Its very messy and you expose yourself to some dangerous chemicals which can be hazardous to your health. Its one of those jobs you'll regret ever trying to do yourself. Its also not very environmentally friendly and the process is regulated.

The best way is to hire a company that uses soda blasting equipment to remove it. I think the going rate is around $ 30 per foot and they do alot better and faster job than a do it yourselfer ever could. Once the bottom paint is off you've then got to regelcoat or repaint the bottom. From start to finish its not an easy or inexpensive process.

I don't know where you're at but this company has some good info on the bottom paint removal process.

http://www.choptanksodablasting.com
Old 05-25-2007, 11:23 AM
Registered

Received 84 Likes on 32 Posts

I have taken bottom paint off of a couple boats now with good results. If the Bottom paint is older you can start with a industrial high pressure power washer and blast off the paint that way. If you can find a pressure washer that has a heating element to pre heat the water those work the best. Then hire a someone to come and lightly soda blast the bottom to get off the primer. After this hand wet sand the bottom with 220, 400 and then 1000. After hit is with compound polish and wax. Both boats I did not have to re gel the bottom. It will take you two full weekends to do it. But it is worth it if you can get the boat for the right price.

Last edited by Maritime_Eng; 05-25-2007 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:15 PM
Registered

Thanks! I'll have to look into it more! I appreciate all the help. So far the score looks like 1 Yes and 1 No. Anybody else want to chime in.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:32 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

depends on the bottom paint too..if its ablative your a happy boy....
Old 05-25-2007, 02:02 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

try boat brite soy stripper at wes marine. I used it the other day, with great results. better then peal away, it is a gel you paint on and let sit for a while, 30 min or so will take off 1 coat.
I blasted whole bottom with 2600 psi washer then painted on the gel and then took a 10klb washer to it after two hours and it all blew right off.
It is about $90.00 a gallon but well worth it.
good luck
less then a day to strip 4 coats and a day of sanding NO regell coating a 242 is with in a few inches of a 271 in total length
Old 05-27-2007, 01:12 AM
Banned

I think it all depends on the bottom paint, and the prep. I've done two, never again, I don't care how good a deal it seems.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:59 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Alright guy's, I'm about to go down this road - if it checks out.
It's got bottom paint that matches the hull sides (black), and the hullsides are supposedly orignal Gel - and as long as they are in good shape, I'd rather have repairs done, than re-do.
I'm sure the original bottom was white - and I want that back.
I don't want to damage the bottom, or the original Gel hullsides.
Looking for suggestions.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:26 PM
Registered

There are many different ways to get it off as you can see & you will get many different ways to do it here on OSO & they will all work for you. If I were you & the boat is at a dealer... I would tell them you will take the boat but they have to take off the bottom paint? This would save you time & money... I would think they would do it to make the sale as long as they did not give you the boat... Good Luck & let us know how it turns out for you. Dennis
Old 07-04-2007, 02:00 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by cuda
I think it all depends on the bottom paint, and the prep. I've done two, never again, I don't care how good a deal it seems.
Like Joe said. SAve yourself the trouble

Quick Reply: Bottom Paint Removal?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.