bimini storage on 292

Notices
Formula

bimini storage on 292

Old 07-27-2007, 07:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bimini storage on 292

I just received my wife's bimini top from Formula. The instructions are very vague for mounting the storage shelves in the engine compartment. Does anyone know how they are mounted? What is the grey strap for? What size screws are used to mount the 2 rods in the front of the bilge? Pictures would really help. Thanks.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:01 PM
Registered

This is what I did with mine. Couldn't figure out what to do with the rods that they sent me, so I made my own straps. Never a rattle!
Attached Thumbnails bimini storage on 292-100_0362.jpg   bimini storage on 292-100_0365.jpg   bimini storage on 292-100_0364.jpg  

Old 07-28-2007, 09:29 PM
Registered

Thanks for the pictures. Once I went up to the boat I saw that you remove a piece to put the larger shelf in. Thanks again!
Old 07-29-2007, 11:28 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 292 with bimini. Putting it up, especially solo, can be a bit of a struggle. For what they're worth, thought I would give you a few tips.

Pull your pins out of all four mounts on the windshield frame and drap a beach towel between the mounts on each side to protect from scratches. Open the engine hatch only about 1/3 open. Slide the bimini out while lifting the top up until you get the frame ends to the cup holder covers (with the towel protecting them). While the bimini is balanced vertical, reach for the engine hatch switch and close it (1/3 open make this a bit quicker step). Now carefully lay the top of the bimini on the engine hatch (don't hook into the grab handles!) and you can easily slide it up to pin the forward mounts, swing it up and pin the rear mounts.

This is easiest method I know and have the routine down pretty good since the wife is usually on the beach when we are getting ready to camp.

I think the grey strap is for if you are running with the bimini mounted but not unfolded (still in the wrapper). You strap from the bimini to a little eyelit mounted rear of the windshield frame. This will keep tension and prevent rattling. We never use it because if I have the bimini 'up', it is always unfolded, otherwise it's under the hatch. Have fun!
Old 07-29-2007, 02:25 PM
Registered

One thing that I did that makes things easier for me was that I removed those two small upholstered side panels and made replacements out of marine white plastic. Can't see the difference, and it doesn't hurt to scratch it.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:36 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Quick question as Formula is closed by now and I don't have access to my 292. On an 07 ordered without the bimini,are the white starboard storage panels already there and all I have to add are the ss hooks? As a dealer,I should know,but my memory fades a little more each day. Need an answer for a buyer tonite if possible. Thanks ya'll.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:17 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Just talked to Dano,he checked,nothing related to the top is installed on our 292,so I will proceed with that info.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:39 PM
Registered

The shelf pieces need to be installed, You simply remove the white plastic pieces already there and replace with the new bigger shelf pieces that come with the top. Also, I have modified the windshield mounting pieces. They are at a machine shop right now being fabricated. I don't like the mounting sticking up on the windshield, so the new ones will lay flat. As soon as I get them mounted, I'll put up some pictures.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:59 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You should store them in your garage!!!!
Old 08-10-2007, 07:30 AM
Registered

I'm lazy, I had the 2 oh sh*t handles removed from the gunwales behind the bolsters, mounted front mounting hardware there, and then used solid rear tubes to slant the bimini at the same angle as a radar arch, and left it permanent except for storage, then pushed the buttons(flush mount quick release deck mount) and layed it back on the rear hatch/back of the rear seat.