Notices
Formula

Broker/Birddog fee ideas

Old 08-10-2007, 07:17 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broker/Birddog fee ideas

Put my just traded in 01 260BR on my website/Boattrader. A broker on the Gulf Coast just called for info.He said a customer of his saw it and asked him about it.Wanted to know what I would pay him for sending him my way. I said if he has already seen it online,what was expected. He said 10%! I said I might pay a small birddog fee but nothing like that. He said maybe a 60/40 split,then suggested a 5% (50/50 split)I commented that I might send a few bucks his way if the guy buys,he said he would think about it and get back to me. After hanging up, I thought,hold on,he said the guy had already seen my boat online,so where does this broker guy fit in at all?I rarely broker boats and even rarer do I deal with brokers.I think he had a lot of nerve to suggest a commision at all. Am I offbase here or not?
Old 08-10-2007, 07:22 PM
Registered

I HAVE A DEALER TRUST those that want to stray will not get dealer support and will suffer with service in my opinion.
Jim
Old 08-10-2007, 07:49 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Did you ask the guy if he was Irish and wearing a Kilt.......because he's got balls WAY too big to fit in a pair of shorts!!!!!

You don't owe him a thing, passing on a few bucks (as you suggested) would have been cool for him helping steer this potential buyer your way. 10%...I don't think so!! He'll probably just tell the buyer your boat is a P.O.S and keep looking.
You've succeed by doing things the right way, don't second guess yourself. The world is changing for the worse, not you.

(maybe you should have told him to add the 10% to your asking price and see if he's that good a sales rep!!)
Old 08-10-2007, 07:59 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

It's funny,Karen said the same thing,that he will just bad mouth me and my boat and tell him not to consider it. So what?A clean freshwater 260BR will sell quickly without anyone's help. Kinda hope he doesn't buy,as I would feel obligated to send the guy some money,as I told him I would before I thought it out. What a crazy business. After 41 years in it I am still amazed,but I am still having fun
Old 08-10-2007, 09:07 PM
Registered

I most likely would have told him, I will sell you the boat(since he is a broker) and you can make anything you want on it. If he would stepup to this deal both sides could be happy!!!

What do you think of that idea?
Old 08-10-2007, 09:42 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

:d

Last edited by Magicfloat; 08-10-2007 at 09:45 PM.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:23 AM

why did the customer even call the broker and not just call you? what a dumb azz. You don't owe the broker a dime. He didn't do squat except call you instead of the customer doing it. These brokers are a PITA. Every boat I've sold they call or email me and want me to list with them for 10% and their only "marketing" is they ad my boat to their web site.

If the customer really likes your boat, he'll call you direct. God knows he doesn't have to worry about your reputation, cause its perfect based on the dealing friends have had with you.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:49 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Extortionplain and simple . I'll sent you a customer if you send me money. The guy's a shark. throw him back and go on your own good reputation.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:13 PM
Registered

The guy's customer probably hasn't even seen it yet. He probably knows somebody looking for one or figures he can make a buck off you and made up the BS about the deal to get you to sign on with him. I agree with the shark theory-throw him back.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:42 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

fug em ....

Quick Reply: Broker/Birddog fee ideas

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.