gps in a 292?

Notices
Formula

gps in a 292?

Old 08-21-2007, 03:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gps in a 292?

Has anyone installed a gps unit in a 292? If so, where. Any brand or model recomendations? Thanks-Nick
Old 08-21-2007, 03:50 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I have installed a Northstar Explorer 550i (with built-in GPS receiver) on top of the dashboard to the left of the compass. I also installed the fuel sensors (Northstar 550 also supports Smartcraft gateway for Smartcraft engines) for complete fuel management. There used to be GPS in that location from a previous owner so I decided to use the same location for the new GPS.
I am very happy with it.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:54 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NICKM
Has anyone installed a gps unit in a 292? If so, where. Any brand or model recomendations? Thanks-Nick
I bought a Garmin 378. Wanted something that was portable and could mount in the car or boat. Didn't even have to drill any holes. Came with several mounting options. For the boat it has a small plastic base that uses very strong two-sided tape. Installed the base on the small shelf in front of the main dash to the right of the steering column. Great display detail for a compact unit. In the car I use the sand bag base that came with it. It had the America road maps installed and we use it in the car for trips. Really like it. Talks to you turn for turn, etc...

I plan to take some dash pictures this weekend of my new Aria wheel and will post how the GPS looks installed.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also put it to the left of the compass.Its a Garmin 492 will take a picture this weekend if you want.What ever you get get one with the internal antenna
Old 08-22-2007, 06:12 AM
LV
Gold Member
Gold Member

Im looking into Gps as well ,so why only go with the external antenna?
Old 08-22-2007, 07:58 AM
Registered

With an internal antenna you don't have to mess with running wires and mounting an antenna. Makes the install much easier and cleaner.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:29 AM
Registered

Got an extra gauge hole? Looking to have a custom dash fabbed anyways?
Here's an interesting idea...
Attached Thumbnails gps in a 292?-gps-gauge-mount.jpg  
Old 08-22-2007, 11:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Phazar454Mag
I have installed a Northstar Explorer 550i (with built-in GPS receiver) on top of the dashboard to the left of the compass. I also installed the fuel sensors (Northstar 550 also supports Smartcraft gateway for Smartcraft engines) for complete fuel management. There used to be GPS in that location from a previous owner so I decided to use the same location for the new GPS.
I am very happy with it.

Does the 550i support all the Smartcraft functions? Will it show rpm, engine hours, etc? Sounds pretty sweet.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:57 PM
Registered

I'd like to see some photos. Thanks guys.-Nick
Old 08-22-2007, 03:00 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jmeng
Does the 550i support all the Smartcraft functions? Will it show rpm, engine hours, etc? Sounds pretty sweet.
I don't have the Smartcraft gateway since I have Scorpion engines, so I am not not sure how much is supported.
But I looked at the operation manual for the Northstar 550i and it says: Smartcraft engine functions require a Smartcraft system to be installed. For information on using SmartCraft see the "SmartCraft Gateway Installation and Operation Manual".
In the back of the manual it says a little about installation of a SmartCraft gateway and it says that it enables "display of engine data and trim and can control troll speed" and once again makes a reference to the "SmartCraft Gateway Installation and Operation Manual".
I guess you would need to check with a dealer and ask what is supported or may be somebody else here on OSO knows.
Alternatively call Northstar there is a phone number if you click on "SMARTCRAFT FLYER" in the bottom of this page: http://www.northstarcmc.com/html/pro...martcraft.html

Quick Reply: gps in a 292?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.