Drive Resevior Bottle

Notices
Formula

Drive Resevior Bottle

Old 09-04-2007, 10:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive Resevior Bottle

I had the 292 out all weekend and she ran like a top! But, I did notice a bit of drive oil leaking out of the starboard side drive oil reservior. Today, I called the dealer said they said that this was a common problem for the "old style" reserviors (3 inches or so in diameter and about 10 or 11 inches high mounted on the side of the engine compartment). So, I tried to order a new one and it doesn't seem to be available anymore!

Do any of ya'll have an extra one laying around? I ordered the "new style" rectangular one for now.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 09-04-2007, 10:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the bottle cracked? You can still get the o ring for the bottom and the cap.
Jim
Old 09-04-2007, 10:50 PM
Registered

I could not see a crack anywhere on the bottom, but it was certainly covered in fluid! Can the sensors and all come out and install a new O-ring? I seems weird that that would happen all of a sudden! I'm wondering if when I had the boat in for it's annual 100 hour services somehow it got knocked, bumped or something and screwed it up somehow. You know, all of the shift, throttle and indicator cables pass right by (and on) the side of the bottle...They replaced the drive indicator cables too...
Old 09-04-2007, 10:53 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

when that plastic those are made of gets older and brittle it's not hard to crack.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:58 PM
Registered

Its possible the drive was overfilled. I use a pressure oil changer. If I fill to the full line with the pressure unit it will expand and belch over everything. I have to fill to add line, run the boat and then add to full line with a quart bottle.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:52 AM
Registered

Default New Bottle

The same thing happened on my boat. I didn't want to change to the new one on one side and still have the old on the other side. (I have twins) But I did finally break down and get the new style. It was a real easy switch. Just remove the old mount and install the new one in it's place. I think it only took maybe an hour. I believe the new one came with mounting hardware that went right in place of the old unit without going through the outside of the hull. (make sure you check that out before you screw anything in) The best part about the new stlye is that it uses way le$$ Hi Performance lube. After I came to terms with that new style it wasn't that bad. I mean, we really don't need darn near 2 quarts of extra drive oil in that style system anyway. Good Luck and I hope this helps.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:10 AM
Registered

Thanks! Does anyone know how thick the side of the engine compartment is on this style boat? Or should I start another thread about that?