rubrail removale?

Notices
Formula

rubrail removale?

Old 09-09-2007, 05:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rubrail removale?

I had all the gunnel storage interior pulled out of our fastec to thrubolt the rear bech base to the the boat. While I was in there ,I put the wrench on every bolt I could reach. I noticed a few of the thrubolts that hold the deck to the hull where loose enough that the bolt would spin. From what I could see the rubrail & most if the interior would need to be removed to get to the bolt head. Is this worth the time or money to do? Other than the bolts & metal tabs , how are the deck & hull joined?
Old 09-11-2007, 08:23 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The hull/deck joint is a "shoebox" joint bonded with Plexus and through-bolted every 18". Where there is no access to the back side, Formula installs an aluminum backing plate which gets drilled and tapped. The Plexus is the primary bond, and gives the joint its strength by actually dissolving the fiberglass resin and gel coat, so the area is literally fused together. The through-bolts hold everything in place until the joint is fully cured. If you have some loose ones, it's probably because the head of the bolt has settled into the fiberglass. Unless you see any cracking in that area, I would not worry about them.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info C Spray. Removing all the interior of the cabin looks like it would be a real pain.