Notices
Formula

Need expert Kaama info

Old 09-11-2007, 09:02 PM
alj
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Need expert Kaama info

I found out that the kaama mufflers on my "new" F311 are having issues. These are the original Kaama mufflers that would have been installed on a Kaama rigged boat. The air pump is working fine but the cylinders are just not working. My guess is the seals are all shot in the air cylinders. Anyone ever work on these? Cylinders are actually mounted inside the transom.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:53 AM
Registered

no expert
but I would think the cylinders are industry standard components that you could replace.
try calling formula tech support ( 260-724-1412)
they may have the part number for you

or see if there is any label or stamping on the part ??

Ramb
Old 09-12-2007, 11:11 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine didn't have any mufflers. I have all the literature that came with the Kaama drives, and I didn't see mufflers anywhere in the literature.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:28 PM
alj
Registered

Here is what the mufflers look like from the outside. These were an option on Formulas during the Kaama years. Huge money for the system back then. I haven't taken anything apart to see what the cylinders look like but like all things Kaama they appear to be proprietary to this system. I'll get inside the transom pics to post tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails Need expert Kaama info-p1010681.jpg   Need expert Kaama info-p1010682.jpg  
Old 09-13-2007, 08:09 AM
Registered

ALJ,
First try a little soap in the line after the air pump. This will buy you a little time. Take the pin out of the clevis and unthread the clevis & jam nut from the rod. Then undo your air line on the inside of the boat. The cylinder threads into the muffler housing. The end of the cylinder on the inside of the boat should have flat two flat sides so you can get a wrench on it and unscrew it. You can then take it down to the local hydrualic/neumatic shop and they can order you new air cylinders. If they cant match them call me I think my local shop still has the info the ones they ordered for me. Super cheap, like $40.00 each. BTW make sure you air lines are not leaking. Also that little gizzy up on your helm that either pumps of releases air can leak. I had these on my 357 and they were a PITA. Constanly had to hit the air button because they bled off. Hope this helps.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:58 AM
alj
Registered

Josh - you da man! If you happen by your hydraulic shop can you see if they have the old info? I'm just amazed that the pump and switch (gizzy?) still work after 20 years. Now I just have to figure out how to get my body to the back of the engine compartment to be able to work on these pain in the a....es. Boy ... no one told me how much more room I had in the F402 compared to this F311. Kinda miss dropping the Barcalounger into the engine compartment to relax and work on your engines. I changed the crank raw water pumps on Saturday. FUN JOB!
Old 09-13-2007, 04:28 PM
Registered

Al, I'm in FL at the moment, I will be back in Mi, next week I will dig into my records and see what I can find. I think the name of the cylinder was (don't laugh) BIMBA. PS. They will come out easy. Just be carefull of the existing lines and fittings. Good Luck.