Glad I sprung for the Freshening

Notices
Formula

Glad I sprung for the Freshening

Old 12-12-2007, 04:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glad I sprung for the Freshening

I spoke with my mechanic yesterday, and he said that port engine had at least one cracked valve spring, and starboard motor's head gasket had burned across #5-6.

Both motors were fixing to blow up. 265 hours.

I am glad I decided to have them checked out before next season.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im getting ready to do the samething
Old 12-13-2007, 12:10 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

HP 500EFI's??
Old 12-13-2007, 01:18 PM
Burnin' Love
Gold Member

Boy, you saved yourself alot of money on that one.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:32 PM
Registered

yes, 500 efi's 265 hours, 271 hours,

I just bought the boat from Plumberscrack, and planned on having both motors freshend before I ran the boat.

I took delivery, and the boat ran fine, but I went ahead and told the mechanic to freshen the motors so I would know where I stood with the boat and motors as a new used boat owner.

First, he did a complete maintenance of the boat, oil change, filters, plugs, wires, water pumps, flushed injectors, flushed cooling system, serviced drives, serviced generator. One motor had been serviced before, with the other still factory plugs, rotor, dist cap, wires, and water pump.

We ran the boat for about an hour to see how she performed, and with two on board, full fuel, full fresh water, and full crap tank, was able to get 4800 rpm at 70 mph wot. 3500 rpm at 49 mph.

Even with the prop work that needs to be done, my mechanic offered me to use the boat until Jan-Feb, and then pull motors, but I decided to have it done now. The only other thing we foud that was a suprise was that the drives were frozen to the drive couplers on the fly wheels. Once they were removed, they were inspected, and the splines were very sharp, and not far off from spinning, therefore, I am having them changed also.

I knew what I was getting into buying a used boat, but that is why I am glad that my mechanic steered me in the right direction on all of my decisions.

By the time I am finished with the boat, she will be in as good as new shape. I am having the clear coat re sprayed on the graphics on the top of the deck. The previous owner stored the boat outside, and the clear coat payed the price. After the re spray, I am also having her buffed and total detailed.

Hopefully, I will be ready for the first mild day of winter for my first full day on the water.

Maintenance definitely pays off!!! I hate to even think about the cost of two new motors had I not found these potential devistating problems.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:35 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Is that typical for 500's? I just tore down a pair of Innovation 600's with over 400 hours, and all was fine. (Of course, I drive like an old lady at 3800 / 52 mph.....)
Old 12-14-2007, 11:57 AM
Registered

Was the crap tank full when you got the boat or did you sit there and fill it up just to test performance?
Old 12-14-2007, 10:01 PM
Registered

Full Crap tank was a going away present from the seller. A sweet suprise festering for lord knows how long!
Old 12-14-2007, 11:28 PM
Registered

I don't understand why the valve springs on these 500's have to be replaced so soon (IMO)? What's the deal??
Old 12-15-2007, 05:01 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by C_Spray
Is that typical for 500's? I just tore down a pair of Innovation 600's with over 400 hours, and all was fine. (Of course, I drive like an old lady at 3800 / 52 mph.....)

Quick Reply: Glad I sprung for the Freshening

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.