Notices
Formula

Boats In!

Old 05-08-2008, 08:13 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Boats In!

I lauched my 292 yesterday. 80 and sunny, absolutely beautiful. Took her for a short cruise, everything ran great. Had her up to about 50-55 with A LOT more throttle to go. I hope summer will be a long one.

Not much experience with a stepped hull, don't know if I'm doing anything wrong but when I would attempt to bring the drives up a bit while running it would begin porpoising. It ran a lot smoother when the drives were all the way down. I could bring them up a little bit about an 1/8 on the gauge but that's it, any higher it would start porpoising again. Any suggestions, tips, things I should try? I know they are designed to run with the drives at neutral, but this didn't seem right. I also had 4 other people on board telling me to slow down, which wasn't helping.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:27 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Can't help you with this particular problem...but don't EVER let those people on your boat again.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have found that the boat is very responsive to water conditions. Depending upon the conditions the boat will not want trim but as those change so will the trim setting. Rule of thumb I have found is trim up the boat at the speed you want to go, then trim up till the boat starts to porpise, then trim it back down a couple of clicks. The bow will bounce a couple of more times, but then will settle down to the correct running attiude for the conditions you are in. You will also find that when the ride gets rough sometimes add 5 mph will make it smoother as opposed to slowing down.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:38 PM
Registered

Thanks Selpel, the person that I did the sea trial with told me the same bit of info, that if the ride starts to get rough if you speed up a bit it might smooth it out more. That did work in some instances but other times as I throttled up the porposing got worse. I'm sure the more seat time I get the more accustom to it I will become. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:07 PM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

Where do you have the tabs set? A slight bit of negative tab should settle the nose and allow you to run a bit more trim on the drives making it more efficient.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:47 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Next time you're out of the water, put a straightedge along the bottom of the boat, and adjust the tabs until they just touch. If you run them in that position, they will not drag much, but will come into play right away once the porpoising starts.

Also, check to see what position your drives are in when the propshafts are parallel to the bottom of the boat. This will be yourmost efficient thrust setting; running them any higher won't gain much on a stepped hull - the hull pretty much determines what angle it wants to run. I run my 382 at only 3 or 4 all the time, and rarely go over 6. It's often best to leave the drives at the parallel setting where they are most efficient, and just add a little tab. Sometimes just one point will make a big difference. (Easy on the tabs in following seas, though!)

Moving weight forward will also help. Any cr@p you can move forward into the cabin?

Speed also helps, but isn't always an option. (As you know.)

You're right: Seat time and experimentation will help a lot.

Last edited by C_Spray; 05-08-2008 at 03:01 PM.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Splitdecision271
I lauched my 292 yesterday. 80 and sunny, absolutely beautiful. Took her for a short cruise, everything ran great. Had her up to about 50-55 with A LOT more throttle to go. I hope summer will be a long one.

Not much experience with a stepped hull, don't know if I'm doing anything wrong but when I would attempt to bring the drives up a bit while running it would begin porpoising. It ran a lot smoother when the drives were all the way down. I could bring them up a little bit about an 1/8 on the gauge but that's it, any higher it would start porpoising again. Any suggestions, tips, things I should try? I know they are designed to run with the drives at neutral, but this didn't seem right. I also had 4 other people on board telling me to slow down, which wasn't helping.

CALL ME
Old 05-09-2008, 12:20 PM
Registered

Tim,

I'll give you a hollar this weekend.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

C_Spray explained it perfectly. Plus, after several hours of seat time, you will be able to have it rock solid in any water condition. It took time getting used to myself. When driving it feels like the boat is running really flat, but part of that illusion is due to the sloping deck. You feel the need to trim it up to get the nose up, but don't do it. Neutral trim is best. Congratualtions on getting her wet!
Old 05-10-2008, 07:07 PM
Registered

Was cold out today had the bay to myself.Split incase I don't get to talk to you before you run again because you had 4 people and a full load of fuel your angle of attack was changed.292s will do this with a lot of passengers, just drop the tabs till it stops leave the drives alone.Always run as little tab as possible as to much will cause them to get light in the stern but in your situation you needed more Tim

Quick Reply: Boats In!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.