fuel smell in cockpit

Notices
Formula

fuel smell in cockpit

Old 08-17-2008, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel smell in cockpit

i topped of tank (315.00 dollars) and took boat out yesterday. all day i coulkd smell fuel? i checked the obvoius bilge area rear of tank in engine compartment can't find any signs of fuel?should i pull up the center section of floor it is screwed in and siliconed. hope the tank isn't leaking
scott
Old 08-17-2008, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unfortunately, it sounds (smells) like the tank is leaking. This is really not something to put off. The tank is foamed in place. If leaking, the fuel may not make back to the engine bilge area for a while, espeically if it's just a minor leak. However, even a minor leak spells fumes.

After checking all the easy and obvious stuff, you'd better pull that floor section and investigate.

It's a bummer but its not a show stopper. New tank, good to go for as long as you own it at least.

Good luck and be careful. Keep us posted.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:38 AM
Registered

i pulled up floor no visable signs? i noticed the fuel pump fitting was loose? seems like the wrong size threads on fitting into the tank.i can move it side to side and turn it and here the pump moving so i assume it is venting there for sure but don't know if that is the only problem.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by scottmori
i pulled up floor no visable signs? i noticed the fuel pump fitting was loose? seems like the wrong size threads on fitting into the tank.i can move it side to side and turn it and here the pump moving so i assume it is venting there for sure but don't know if that is the only problem.
That is good news. Perhaps that's all it is. Easy fix, fairly good access. Hope that's it.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:19 PM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

I had a stainless steel set of fuel lines in my last boat that wheeped fuel smell. The way we found it was take them off, pressurize them and put them in a tub of water. Then after a bit small bubbles would form on the outside of the lines. That one took almost a year to find it was so faint. You will want to check your fittings, hoses, fuel pump etc. The absolute last thing I would do is pull that tank.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:56 PM
NO WAKE ENFORCER
Platinum Member

thats how mine started, look under the step in the cabin that is where my leak was pooling at.

I had these guys make me a new tank with the specs you can get from formula, they had the best price and the quality and fit and finish was very good according to my tech that put it in.

if you need anymore info let me know

http://www.speedytanks.com/contact/index.html
Old 08-19-2008, 08:23 AM
Registered

Default fuel leak

thanks i checked under step no evidence of fuel. i really hope it was that fitting.
scott
Old 08-19-2008, 10:02 AM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

It most likely was leaking at the fitting. The key is you mentioned you topped off the tank and while floating the gas tank is leaning overflowing the loose fitting on the back of the tank. While your used up the gas in the tank it stopped leaking and evaporated what leaked out.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:07 PM
Registered

Have a friend, true story, with similar problem. Working on the engines, wrench slipped, spark and a click sound and WHOOOM! Deck split from the hull. Multiple fractures requiring surgery, facial burns, fire department rescue. Moral: fix that problem pronto! and don't ignore the scent.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:10 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by DOCS OUT
Have a friend, true story, with similar problem. Working on the engines, wrench slipped, spark and a click sound and WHOOOM! Deck split from the hull. Multiple fractures requiring surgery, facial burns, fire department rescue. Moral: fix that problem pronto! and don't ignore the scent.
We should all learn from other's experiences. Here at the atom splitter (work at a nuclear power plant) we learn from other plants - good and bad. It's called Operational Experience. The old adage, "don't think it can't happen to you" is oh so true!

Quick Reply: fuel smell in cockpit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.