Twin Bowtie 6.0L

Notices
Formula

Twin Bowtie 6.0L

Old 12-20-2008, 04:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin Bowtie 6.0L

Ive got a pair of 6.0L motors complete from 2 07 Hummer's waiting for me to pick up. I've talked to a few folks about installing these motors in my 272 and so far it seems pretty staight up.... New wire harness, re-programming, exahaust.
Any suggestions or ideas? I'm trying to cover all the angles before I dive in head first.

I personnaly think it would be worth it as far as reliability, performance, and price compared to stroking my 350's to 383's

Any one looking for a transfercase, tranny and or wire harness from from Hummer H2? If I go ahead with this project I'll have 2 of each of these items for sale.

Last edited by joker9r; 12-20-2008 at 04:02 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-20-2008, 07:39 PM
Registered

You do realize you need LS-specific exhaust right? Those motors have electronic throttle bodies and a Mass Air Flow sensor; do you plan to use the included PCMs? [Marinized 6.0Ls are converted to speed density] How about fuel supply? You also might encounter an issue with the bellhousing - from what I understand the Merc stuff doesn't bolt up directly. There's also the issue of forward motor mounts that aren't in the same location. There's also the issue of marinizing the starters and alternators. Different oil filter adapter size for the oil coolers. You'll want a different camshaft. You'll need to rig up a raw water setup - but if you are using Alphas you might be able to get away with that. With aluminum heads, closed-cooling is preferred - yes even in "fresh water" use.

I suggest you call Marine Power (my preference), Indmar or Crusader and see if you can convince someone to give you a list of parts to correctly build the 6.0Ls for marine use. I think you'll find that if cost is your number one factor, rebuilding into 383s will be less expensive.

I still haven't found any details, but Formula rigged a pair of 6.0Ls in a FasTech 292 a few years ago. I wish we could read more about that setup.

Best of luck and let us know if you pursue the project. When I have the money, I will.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:30 PM
Banned

What he says,,,,,,,actually i think your better of with strocking your 350's !
Old 12-21-2008, 03:04 PM
Registered

handfulz...

I was aware of some the points you brought up but not aware of many of the other issues I'll encounter. I was going to use the stock PCM's I have someone to re-program them.

I have a great oppotunity for the complete LS engines so I thought I'd investigating the possibilities with using them. I've got all winter while she's getting a complete re-paint
to get it figured out and done.... I'm trying to have it all complete, paint and motors by spring but I'd rather put the motors off till next winter if it means doing it right!!

Thanks for the insite and information
Old 12-21-2008, 03:24 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those truck motors don't really make that much power. THey have small cams and are designed to make power at highway speeds and under 3K rpms. Not that don't make power higher up, but they aren't designed to run at 4K all day long.

Plus you have all the other issues with tolerances, clearances, Cheap valves, cranks, nothing really there to work with.

Stroke the 350's or just hop them up a litle. You will be happier and make more power I am sure.