Buy me out!!!

Notices
Formula

Buy me out!!!

Old 01-15-2009, 10:03 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by t500hps
My point is.....you want to upsize and seem quite aggressive in getting the word out. If your boat has a "book" value of $120K and you have to sell it for $80K, that sucks.....but if the bigger boat you want has a "book" value of $150K and you can buy it for $110K your still just spending $30K to get the bigger boat. That is exactly the way I looked at it when I accepted the low offer on my 312.

Bingo! You can also look at it this way ........ A year ago in better times the 30K might well have been 35K. And a year from now the number might be 40K in that the trade is now older. And the big boats will likely come back up to par quicker than the smaller ones. From what my Fountain dealer, and others, have told me lately it seems the big dollar boats have not been hit as hard as some of the more "average joe" boats, been that way for about a year. The reality here, and no one take offense here, is that the guy worried about keeping up on his bills is not likely to buy a new boat. Whereas the guy with some real coin may well step up and take advantage of a good time to buy. What it comes down to is how much you want to make the move, what you personally feel comfortable doing.

The lesson to be learned from the state of this economy is that one is better off still happy with what they have and can comfortably afford than to be sorry about the way better chit they just lost.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well put Ragged...
Old 01-15-2009, 10:28 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by JayFan
Thanks again... ya I hear ya T500...it just is very hard to pull the trigger on selling it to a dealer for 95ish, when just two years ago I paid 140 for the package..... OUCH!!!!!!

I will look MagicFloat...thanks

Welcome to high perf boating . One other aspect of the trade deal to factor in is the sales tax savings, if it does effect you in your state. Here in N.Y. you sell on your own and you get no credit towards the next one you buy. Then you buy the next one and pay on the whole shot. So in real money the trade is worth the offer plus the tax savings. States vary, worth looking at.

It really all comes down to your present boat and how much to go where you want to be. All the rest of the numbers are pointless in the equation no matter how you get there. Most of my buddies told me I was flat out stupid to let my last one go for the number I did. Fooled all of them, made it up and then some on this one! I have done it both ways many times and always walked away and never looked back. Would have, could have will just ruin your day.

Good luck, and don't forget the extra letter in the "F" word gets you more than you think. ...

Last edited by RaggedEdge; 01-15-2009 at 10:50 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:47 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ragged thats a good point on the sales tax,, that was big when I went for my newer truck, alotta people over look that as I have in the past
Old 01-16-2009, 07:24 AM
Registered

true... from the info I get from various dealers, I only have to pay Sales Tax on the difference of the two boats...
Old 01-16-2009, 10:25 PM
Registered

I can get 95K and even a little higher..I've had offers from a few dealers at those amounts. I have a feeling that as the winter turns to spring that even MORE larger boats will be out there.... sooo many guys are hurting big time, and just can't afford them anymore

Jayfan,, the problem is that as it comes into boating season, while the price of your boat may rise slightly, so will the prices of what your looking for..right now if you can get say 90 grand for your boat and what you want is selling for 130, in 3 months suppose you can get 100 grand for yours, your gonna pay 140 grand for the same boat your looking at now at 130. Ya really need to look at trade difference, because if you trade you also save the difference in the sales tax, I'd damn sure rather pay sales tax on a 40 grand difference than the sales tax on a hundred and forty grand outright purchase(not to mention that you don't have to screw with every Tom Dick and Harry that comes along that MIGHT want to buy your boat. Been there and done that,,,damn sure not any fun, my pc came from Magicfloat, and it was the easiest most pleasant boat transaction I've ever made buying a boat,,and the dealer service/response after the sale has always been way above what I had any right to expect.

Just personal opinions arrived at by doing things the hard(&expensive way) way to often

Jayfan, why don't you buy mine and then I'll buy yours...lol

Last edited by Slick02; 01-16-2009 at 10:30 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:14 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks again... ya I hear ya T500...it just is very hard to pull the trigger on selling it to a dealer for 95ish, when just two years ago I paid 140 for the package..... OUCH!!!!!!

I will look MagicFloat...thanks
I am suprised they are offering you that much on a trade.Not busting I am in the same situation
Old 01-17-2009, 12:15 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Slick02
i wanted to try something different in boating for a while, for the last 30 years or so all I ever had were performance boats of one kind or another till I bought the PC from Magicfloat. I pretty much only use my boat as a weekend getaway at the local freshwater party spot on the St. Johns river, and the generator and a/c are a welcome change along with all of the other assets for a weekend stay, but due to my laziness as far as towing and cleaning, I'm giving serious consideration to selling my house, using the equity to buy a houseboat to live on so my living expenses would be drastically reduced (at Holly Bluff Marina I can rent dockage with full privilages for about 500.00 per month with no yard to mow/property taxes to pay etc) and buying another 292 to run up to the party hole for the day on. I'm still in the early stages of analizing all sides of this before I jump in with both feet, but I'm 55 years old and have never saved a dime towards retirement and I'm trying to line myself up to where I can afford to live come that time in my life, besides my yard is an acre and a half and taking care of it is a PITA.
Living on a houseboat with a 292 to run around in sounds like a plan! I know what you mean about the upkeep of house/property. Good luck!
Old 01-17-2009, 12:28 PM
Registered

Ya Expensive Date..I that is what two "large" dealers have offered me. Trust me I hear ALL of you guys....and I know in my heart you are right! It just is a big old kick to the BALLS!!! lol One of these days I'll jump though! Keep naggin at me!!!!!
Old 01-19-2009, 01:07 PM
Registered

Reality is usually a kick in the jewels,,,,life ain't always pretty.

Quick Reply: Buy me out!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.