Best exhaust for Formula w/TRS

Notices
Formula

Best exhaust for Formula w/TRS

Old 03-14-2009, 11:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best exhaust for Formula w/TRS

Having my 420's rebuilt and need to change exhaust. Bore and stroke to 496, new roller cams. Hope to be around 500HP when they're done. My old exhaust was a proven engine destroyer, the old Merc w/SS tails...Before they went to the Merc/Gil system. Any suggestions on replacements ? Boat is a 1988 357. Thanks...
Old 03-15-2009, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

When i had to ditch my original merc stuff (same as yours) because they were leaking so bad i went with imco powerflows. It was june in illinois and i was ready to be back on the water, teague had them in stock with the longer tails for trs application. You have alot of options but I am still happy with my purchase, they sound really nice.
Attached Thumbnails Best exhaust for Formula w/TRS-9_19_2007-141.jpg  
Old 03-16-2009, 02:58 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

want looks or affordable?

I went affordable and used stock 496 stuff on mine, 500.00 for take offs on each engine, nice stainless risers, you can have the black taken off and polish them, I left mine black for now..
Old 03-16-2009, 09:42 AM
Registered

Full Force...Did you have to recut your transom holes? My trs risers go a lot higher up than bravo set ups. I looked into revolution marine when i was doing mine but they said i would have to recut my outlets in the transom or they wouldn't be able to get the water out.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was trying to find 2 used sets, but the TRS risers are hard to find. I also want the long 6" taller risers. Thanks for your info and pics, always helps to see how they look in the boat.
Anyone else have any pics to share ? Thanks again....
Old 03-17-2009, 12:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by 454captiva
Full Force...Did you have to recut your transom holes? My trs risers go a lot higher up than bravo set ups. I looked into revolution marine when i was doing mine but they said i would have to recut my outlets in the transom or they wouldn't be able to get the water out.
No holes are same location, I am TRS also, I used my same holes but made them 4" they were 3" before, I have no issues whatsoever..

Old 03-18-2009, 07:10 AM
Registered

full force it looks like your exhaust hoses are touching, there is almost no room between your engines! I can fit my arm between my two inboard manifolds. Nice looking motors by the way
Old 03-18-2009, 12:13 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by 454captiva
full force it looks like your exhaust hoses are touching, there is almost no room between your engines! I can fit my arm between my two inboard manifolds. Nice looking motors by the way
Thanks!

Yea, my engines are tight certerline, usually they are wider...
Old 03-18-2009, 02:07 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Coldsweat,
I basically did what you are doing, I went with the CMI's. here is my add on another site, to see the application.

https://www.boatcrazy.com/search/details.php?id=468

see what you think, the original owner re-drilled the thru-transom higher as you can see its above the taco rail in the back. Good Luck !
Old 03-18-2009, 05:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 370 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Cold Sweat
Having my 420's rebuilt and need to change exhaust. Bore and stroke to 496, new roller cams. Hope to be around 500HP when they're done. My old exhaust was a proven engine destroyer, the old Merc w/SS tails...Before they went to the Merc/Gil system. Any suggestions on replacements ? Boat is a 1988 357. Thanks...
do you have a pictures of your current exhaust? I just want to see if your ''engine destroyer'' exhaust looks loke mine????

Also thinking switching for newer exhaust, for the affordable way...

Quick Reply: Best exhaust for Formula w/TRS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.