Formula reliability >

Formula reliability

Notices
Formula

Formula reliability

Old 04-19-2009, 02:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From 1991 thru 1997 Fountain used Imron paint for graphics on basic white gelcoat. In 1998 they switched to a PPG product (urethane, I believe). The only "colored" gelcoat that I have seen on a fountain (after 1991 is all that I know about), is when they colored the entire boat, usually, black, red or yellow, although I believe they did produce a 42 in orange for a customer, otherwise, the boats have been white gelcoat with painted graphics. I still have the paint code chart stuck away in a file folder.

Last edited by bob_t; 04-19-2009 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:09 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
What bothers me is someone, not you Bird, spouting off about chit when they have no base of knowledge for their comments. How can one judge a boat when they have never been on the water in one? How do they make claims about poor rigging and leftover build chit and such when they have never owned one, or worked on one? From where I sit I see people spending way more time fussing over re-rigs, modifications, upgrades, tweeks, and such on Formulas than I see being done on Fountains.
really...

the knowledge base comes right from this forum having been an active reader and interactive poster for a number of years now
oh, that's right you've only really been active here for a couple years now...and mostly useless BS from you.
when was the last time you posted a how-to or other info useful info on this forum other than sarcastic negativity, inflated tales, and always edited efforts to be "the man"

I'm sure you've chosen to ignore any negative posts over the years from your precious brands owners, wouldn't want to get your blanket wet...

and... as a matter of fact I've been out in yours goofy among others over the years- nice tracking handling boat but small short and up until very recently, quite basic sharp corners clumsy cabin doors ect

seems to me your "buddies" (cough cough) fountains were all modified...excuse me..."re-rigged" and/or heavily tweeked

I don't exactly see adding power, stereo upgrades/electronics and blinging out to taste as re-rigging any factory work that was **** to begin with...
but hey I expect that typical negative twist from you, everybody does, we expect and laugh about it in disgust all the time

some boat owners are more interactive and like to customize their boats to them much like the car scene...
you like the staid cookie cutter that's fine.
Formula simply is a good platform for us in that respect because they are so deluxe to begin with, don't feel bad and get defensive about it

this thread was about Formula quality, so your brand was brought up as a comparison- beat it- go defend the faith in the fountain forum...
gotta stick your azzhole in every discussion
don't see a bunch of Formula guys getting defensive in the fountain forum...
in fact I don't see Fountain guys over here acting the way you do, I wonder what they really think...??
hmmm....
the joke is your behavior/ attitude that we see again and again as a " smartazz defensive feeling underdog though I own the greatest boat in the world" owner is EXACTLY the stereotype that fountain owners have been trying to shake for years amongst the rest
Old 04-19-2009, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Phazar454Mag
I do not agree with you.

If you keep your boat outside in the sun during the season every day, it is very clear to me that colored gelcoat fades way more than the Imron paint used on Formulas.

There is a 1991 Formula at my dock and the Imron paint is still like new even though it stays outside during the season, and the owner only polishes it once a year. There are no boats with colored gelcoat in as nice condition that are kept outside during the season. Actually most boats with colored gelcoat of that age are really in bad shape.

I also keep my Formula (it is from 2002) outside during the season and the Imron paint is like new on the top (which is most exposed to the sun). However the white gelcoat is not.

So from a fade resistance point of view there is no doubt in my mind that the Imron paint used by Formula is far superior to gelcoat.

However from a repair perspective it is easier to make small repairs using gelcoat than having to repaint. But that is a different issue.

As the owner of a fiberglass/gelcoat/paint/detail shop... my boats will NEVER be painted and only gel coated. proper maintanence and you will never have a problem.

Here is my little boat, 24 years old for the hull, 25 years old on the motor, ALL ORIGONAL GEL COAT!!!! Take care of her and it will shine FOREVER!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Formula reliability-dsc02801_0593-%5Bdesktop-resolution%5D.jpg   Formula reliability-dsc02803_0595-%5Bdesktop-resolution%5D.jpg   Formula reliability-dsc02806_0598-%5Bdesktop-resolution%5D.jpg  

Old 04-19-2009, 03:31 PM

I also dislike paint on boats sooo much that my Formula looks like this. And I had the same "paint job" on my last Fountain.
Attached Thumbnails Formula reliability-p7060039.jpg  
Old 04-19-2009, 04:12 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shameless
Here is my little boat, 24 years old for the hull, 25 years old on the motor, ALL ORIGONAL GEL COAT!!!! Take care of her and it will shine FOREVER!!!!
Your little boat sure looks great, and it is great to hear the opinion of a professional.

I am just telling you what I see here in Denmark where most people keep their boats in the water during the summer season where boats are exposed to the elements. Almost all boats that are 10-15 years old with colored gelcoat on the top part of the boat, are in bad shape even though the owners try to keep them looking good if they have been stored outside with no protection.
I know of some people that really maintain theirs boats and they all end up looking really bad if they have colored gelcoat on top after some time.

That is why it is so nice to see an older Formula exposed to the same elements that still looks very good and clearly stands out. It seems that the Imron paint is easy to keep looking nearly like new even on older boats that are stored outside. I am not saying that Imron paint can't fade. I am sure it can. It just seems a lot easier to keep it looking good.

Looking at my own boat I see the same. The Imron paint is so easy to keep looking like new, where it is more difficult with the white gelcoat.

If you keep your boat in a garage it is a different matter since it is not exposed to the sun.

But may be you guys in the US have a different experience ?

I know that Florida sun and salt is much harder on a boat than here in Denmark where the sun is not so strong and the amount of salt in the sea is a lot less. So I would guess that at least in Florida you have seen boats with faded colored gelcoat that can no longer be polished to show the color as when the boat left the factory ?
What about older Formulas with Imron paint ? I guess you can also find some faded ones, but how are they compared to boats with colored gelcoats ?
Old 04-19-2009, 06:26 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Rippem
really...

the knowledge base comes right from this forum having been an active reader and interactive poster for a number of years now ......

Pretty much what I said, maybe I should have clarified my comment by saying "no first hand real world base of knowledge". If forum knowledge made for experts we would all be experts on all things.

You did spend a lot of time in my Velocity helping me burn my gas, but don't recall that ever being the case in the Fountains,
you have never even set foot on the one I have now, so don't use me to bolster your base of knowledge.

FYI this started on the Fountain side, was brought here by a Formula guy who apparently questioned the rattle issue, and you threw in your chit talk about Fountains. I have made no derogatory comment whatsoever about Formulas on either side of this deal. And any comment I might make would be based on ownership, or an actuall in boat or on water experience, not what some keyboard jockey claimed was the case.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:02 PM
Registered

When i was looking at buying my boat I went to a dealer that had a 27 Fountain and a 27 Formula side by side. Both boats are nice .. Here is what i saw... Formula fuel capacity 105 gallons compared to 65 in Fountain.. Formula Dash is very modern with nice shapes and style. Fountain is a square aluminum panel that looks like it was designed by a school kid... No tilt wheel on Fountain and a butt ugly 1970's steering wheel... Fountain has a very small outside cabin... Fountain has a rediculous 3 piece cabin door with all exposed hinges and hardware. We all know how nice a Formula cabin door is.. The fountain glove box was made in pieces and had caulking slopped all over holding it together.. Formula glove box has a nice step and mirror. Formula has a glass windshield and Fountain uses Plexiglass that fades and checks up...Fountain is still built with wood and Formula only has wood in the Transom.. The positive about a Fountain was the hydraulic steering and mechanical indicators standard. I am all about the top speed, So it was a hard choice for me. I decided to Give up 3-4 miles an hour of top speed to have a much nicer boat. I believe Fountains are slightly faster because of the lack of fuel weight and missing comforts and style, and not so much the hull.. I have no rattles and nothing falling apart on my Fastech 271. Jeff Wurl
Old 04-19-2009, 08:31 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Thanks guys. Here is a followup question for yah.

Do most of the Formulas have external hydrolic steering setups or is it hit/miss?

What year did they start with no wood for the stringers?

For me, top speed isn't an issue, I generally run with my buddy who has a 20' Seadoo Jet Boat that tops out at 55-65mph, so I don't need a boat that really goes faster than 70.

I do want something that can really handle wakes well as we have bad wakes that bounce around the Hudson, especially the ferrys down by Weehawkin (where Sully's Plane landed).

Thanks again for all the very detailed posts.

-mike
'14 VW Touareg TDI
'17 Holden Commodore 6MT
'13 Subaru BRZ Spec 86 Cup Race Car
Old 04-19-2009, 10:13 PM
Registered

Hope I don't start a war about the different boats we own. We own 2 boats, a 1990 27/29 Fountain Fever and a 1988 Formula 357. We bought the Formula late last summer and had some engine problems. We haven't got to really run it yet, but I'm sure we'll love it as much as the Fountain. I think both older boats are pretty much equal in build and fit. It's hard to compare the two since the Formula is so much bigger. Both the boats are white gel and imron stripes, both still shine like new, and both are all original. There are good and bad features on any boat, can't have it all. Both boats have good reputations, just a buyers preference.
I have no idea about the newer models, I'm sure they are beautiful machines, but too rich for my blood. I like the looks of the classic Fountains and Formulas
Old 04-20-2009, 07:44 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Guys play nice will ya

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.