Silent Thunder Exhaust.....how do I Create less restriction

Notices
Formula

Silent Thunder Exhaust.....how do I Create less restriction

Old 06-15-2009, 07:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silent Thunder Exhaust.....how do I Create less restriction

I am upgrading the motor in my 91 formula and I am looking to allow the exhaust to flow more freely. I want to build a 496 stroker motor over the winter and i think i am going to need to do something with the exhaust. any ideas and where i might be able to find somethings for it.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:16 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Call Formula and ask for the TAG group. Chances are that they put some reasonably big power in those boats over the years, and that you'll be fine.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cut the bottoms out of my 1990 292 sr1 silent thunder and also removed the inner baffle. If I remember correclty, Formula glued the baffle in and I either poped it out with a hammer and extension or cut it out. I left the stainless exhaust ports and rubber flappers in place. The other option is to cut the inside wall of the outside exhaust chambers and cut the bottom out of the inside chambers. I actually like the boat much better with the louder exhaust. It was not obnoxious, but had a great "rumble" to it. Did the same thing with my 357 sri and removed the one from my 1997 419 fastec and sold it to a guy in N.Y.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:42 PM
Registered

how was it you were able to get to the mufflers in the swim platform?
Old 06-16-2009, 05:24 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 91formula242
how was it you were able to get to the mufflers in the swim platform?
They're just vertical baffles. Take off the rubber flappers and reach in there with a long-bladed sawsall. Metal blade works well, wood blade is too aggressive for the fiberglass baffles.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:05 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you do a search there are I think two threads that talk about the removal of the baffles. IMO you do not have to do this for more power.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like third bird's approach. If I remember correctly I may have used a long drill bit, drilled a bunch of holes around the perimeter of the vertical baffle and knocked it out. It wasn't pretty, but no one sees it. I feel you will get a little more power if you increase the hp of the engine. Stock engines won't see a difference, but I beleive higher hp's will.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:05 PM
Registered

also you can get the larger rectangle tips that they used on the 575 boats along with cutting the insides and or cutting holes in the bottom
Old 06-17-2009, 05:35 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by trips2win
also you can get the larger rectangle tips that they used on the 575 boats along with cutting the insides and or cutting holes in the bottom
I didn't know they made larger tips!! Learn something everyday.

So, evidently higher power does require a little more relief than the stock setup.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:52 AM
Registered

I had a 242 with a 630 hp 502 blower motor in it. I installed two Bomar High-Impact Polycarbonate 4" Screw-In Deck Plates one by each drain hole. You do not have to fool around with the baffles. I also found a pair of old Stainless Steel Formula exhaust outlets, cut off the bottom of one and the top of the other and welded the two together which doubled the size of the exhaust outlets but you could skip this if you add the Bomar deck plates. You have the choice to screw the covers in place for a little quieter ride or leave them off for a great sounding rumble. My friends used to say it sounds like it want's to go fast when it was idling and the police will not bother you. If you email me I can send you a short video.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.