What's Missing ?

Notices
Formula

What's Missing ?

Old 06-28-2009, 08:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's Missing ?

I have a 1988 357 with the silent thunder platform. Both engines are out for rebuild and I needed measurements to order new headers for my trs setup. I pulled the rubber hoses off the thru hulls and it looks like it may have had rubber flappers inside at one time, there's not much left after 21 years. Anyone have any knowledge of these and are they needed ?
Thanks
Old 06-28-2009, 09:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by daredevil
They should be stainless flap's,,,and i would put some on in because of reversion @ boatramp or backing up to the dock .................. just much safer.
The pieces that are left are riveted in and are rubber coated. Pieces are in the center of the thru hull pipes, flappers are gone. Just wondering if anyone knows exactly what was in there. Thanks
Old 06-28-2009, 10:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Cold Sweat
The pieces that are left are riveted in and are rubber coated. Pieces are in the center of the thru hull pipes, flappers are gone. Just wondering if anyone knows exactly what was in there. Thanks
I know what was in there because I was just inspecting mine on my '92 last week. The pieces that you see are more than likely the hinge component that allows the flappers to, for lack of a better term, flap. The flappers that were there were also covered in rubber to keep them quiet. Not sure where yours went unless the rubber came off, which does happen, and the flappers rotted out.........I suppose that could happen?? Maybe there are pieces inside your Silent Thunder box? Are all 4 of your exhaust tubes showing the same? Sounds like maybe they were removed at some point....though not sure why....?

I would expect what ever still exists on yours will need to be removed and replaced with entirely new assemblies.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:49 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think you can get the Flaps from Stainless Marine ....Bad news you might have to remove the box to replace the old flaps
What I would do is just ad the external rubber Flaps on the Cast fittings thru the transom .......m

http://stainlessmarine.com/myProducts.CFM?CFID=1370994&CFTOKEN=35fe85b5522b42 8-2B666823-E74E-38BD-7463B7656A3A5CF3&parentcategoryid=49%7CExhaust%20S uper%20Flaps%20%2D%204%20%26%205%20S%2FS%20Exhaust &productID=34&showDetail=1&categoryID=49|Exhaust%2 0Super%20Flaps%20%2D%204%20%26%205%20S%2FS%20Exhau st&vendoridtodisplay=0&filterFor=&collection=
Attached Thumbnails What's Missing ?-lg309372548.jpg  

Last edited by offthefront; 06-29-2009 at 04:54 AM.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BowenCT
I know what was in there because I was just inspecting mine on my '92 last week. The pieces that you see are more than likely the hinge component that allows the flappers to, for lack of a better term, flap. The flappers that were there were also covered in rubber to keep them quiet. Not sure where yours went unless the rubber came off, which does happen, and the flappers rotted out.........I suppose that could happen?? Maybe there are pieces inside your Silent Thunder box? Are all 4 of your exhaust tubes showing the same? Sounds like maybe they were removed at some point....though not sure why....?

I would expect what ever still exists on yours will need to be removed and replaced with entirely new assemblies.
All 4 look the same. These are installed from inside the engine compartment, not on the box side. These must have been center hinged, but with only a thin piece of metal with a little rubber left, it's hard to imagine what they looked like.
I doubt if this style is still available from Formula. The picture above looks like the way to go, but the box needs to come off. Never did it, how heavy is it ? Can you get the gasket for the box ? This stuff is getting old like me...mm
Old 06-29-2009, 09:24 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Cold Sweat
These are installed from inside the engine compartment, not on the box side. I doubt if this style is still available from Formula.
Yes, that is correct. I'm on the same page.

I would bet they are probably still available.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:52 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Check out Quicksilver part number 12674.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by boilerdaddy
Check out Quicksilver part number 12674.
Thanks, but did you mean 12647 ? This is the water shutter, but not sure if it is the part I need, installs differently. Still searching...
Old 07-04-2009, 05:23 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I know what part you are talking about, our local marine supply had them in stock. They are a butterfly flapper that hinges on a rod in the center of the thru-hull stack. If I recall correctly they, are like 45 bucks a pair (twins, 90 bucks)
Old 07-05-2009, 10:46 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by spazboz
I know what part you are talking about, our local marine supply had them in stock. They are a butterfly flapper that hinges on a rod in the center of the thru-hull stack. If I recall correctly they, are like 45 bucks a pair (twins, 90 bucks)
Could you get the phone#, I'll give them a call.
Thanks for the help...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.