Notices
Formula

Formula 252 Bravo 3 props

Old 07-15-2009, 06:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Formula 252 Bravo 3 props

Hello!

I have a Formula 1994 252 w/ a 7.4 (carb) w/ Bravo 3 outdrive. The boat is all original with no prop work. Props are a little banged up, not bad though. I've had it to 54 MPH on GPS. Will labbing the props give me anymore top end on this set up? Also any suggestions on mods to that particular motor? Also don't have through hull exhaust, will that help much on freeing up any power. I've heard Bravo 3's are only good up to about 60 MPH. Any suggestions? Great forum, look forward to hearing from you all!

The Chooper

Last edited by footchopper; 07-15-2009 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 742 Likes on 400 Posts

If you are looking for more top end, swap out the Bravo III for a Bravo I drive and a 3 blade Mirage Plus prop. You will give up some manuverability around the docks, some hole shot, and some mid-range but if top end is your main goal then lose the Bravo III. I've sent Bravo III propsets out to be tuned before and at most have picked up 1 MPH. I recommend BBlades if you decide to work your existing props. If the boat does not have trim tabs, I would add them if you go to a Bravo I. Thru-hull will make more noise but you will not see much of anything in terms of a performance gain. We've seen decent results on those motors swapping out the stock intake and carb for an Edelbrock RPM Air Gap intake and Holley 4150 but they are nothing dramatic. You have to get into the heads and cam to make any appreciable increase in HP in that motor.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:45 AM
Registered

Thanks for the reply! That is kind of what I was thinking.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:15 PM
Registered

How many cfm on the carb? Anyone know the current cfm on that 7.4? Would putting a more free flowing exhaust manifolds help? Would a different ignition system (MSD) help? Just curious?

Last edited by footchopper; 07-21-2009 at 03:36 PM.