Question about swim platform on my 86'

Notices
Formula

Question about swim platform on my 86'

Old 08-06-2009, 07:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about swim platform on my 86'

The fiberglass swim platform on my 1986 206 spider has started leaking water out of where the ladder screws go into the underside of the platform.
My idea was to try to get the platform apart to see if I could tighten the screws and nuts and stop the leak, so I took the rub rail off and found that it was actually two sections.
The thru hull exhaust comes thru the top middle of the platform.
Does anyone know what is inside of this platform, can I take it apart? It almost seems like there may be foam or something inside the two sections.
Has anyone had experience with this sort of problem, what if anything is inside it, and once I take it apart how difficult is it to get it sealed back together?
Old 08-07-2009, 05:16 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's an '86, are you sure it is a "Silent Thunder" thru-platform exhaust setup?

If it is, it probably needs a full rebuild by now. There is wood at the forward face where it mates to the transom. Probably rotted away by now. Take the whole thing off and rebuild it as required. As for water coming through the ladder bolt holes, they're most likely sloppy from years of use. That shouldn't be a difficult fix. Glass 'em up and re-drill 'em or maybe just 3M 5000 to seal it up. I don't think there is any foam in the platform unless it's not a Silent Thunder platform. Don't know whats inside the non-Silent Thunder boards. As for splitting the two halves, they're riveted and most likely epoxied like the deck-to-hull joint. I would not recommend trying to tear the two halves apart. You can access the inside from the front face since you'll most likely need to replace the wood at the front anyway. You can still get the exhaust "donut" gaskets and the peripheral seal from Formula.