Check this boat out

Notices
Formula

Check this boat out

Old 08-18-2009, 02:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check this boat out

Gents, check out this formula 242 ls on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/86-Fo...=p4506.c0.m245
Old 08-18-2009, 03:56 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not bad but, here's the quote from the ad (and this follows earlier in the ad "this boat is mint"):

"The starboard side of the boat has some scratched due to a rope coming undone while it was on the dock (See pics). There are a few others nicks and scratches throughout the boat but nothing major."

OK, so there's some scratches. They're not good but not the end of the world. My beef is "this boat is mint". If you're like me, you've seen 100 boats that are "mint", "cherry", "perfect", "none nicer", blah, blah, blah.

The dash is faded, the vinyl isn't great, the cabin looks iffy. Come on, just advertise it for what it is and sell the frickin' thing. Don't play sleazy used car sales guy and think you're going to dupe someone.

And 86formula242ls, if this is your boat then I know I've stepped on your toes. But, that's the way I see it.

Last edited by ThirdBird; 08-18-2009 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:58 PM
Registered

looks pretty clean for a 86.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:52 PM
Registered

It is my boat and I appreciate the feedback from all you formula guys! I would argue that the word "mint" is a matter of opinion. To me, and most people who have seen my boat, for a boat made in 1986, it is mint, except for the scratches on the side. Maybe the pictures don't do the boat justice, but the dash is not faded at all, the vinyl isn't "perfect" but its in excellent condition. No rips, no dirt, no fading. The cabin isn't all original but there is not a thing wrong with the interior.
Most people who see the boat don't believe its a 1986. They usually guess a 2000 or something like that (those that don't know a lot about formulas of course!!).

What do you guys think of the price? I'm hoping to get around 9k for it. I think its priced very well. Any thoughts?
Old 08-19-2009, 03:06 PM
Registered

Cool Skeg Is

Originally Posted by ThirdBird
Not bad but, here's the quote from the ad (and this follows earlier in the ad "this boat is mint"):

"The starboard side of the boat has some scratched due to a rope coming undone while it was on the dock (See pics). There are a few others nicks and scratches throughout the boat but nothing major."

OK, so there's some scratches. They're not good but not the end of the world. My beef is "this boat is mint". If you're like me, you've seen 100 boats that are "mint", "cherry", "perfect", "none nicer", blah, blah, blah.

The dash is faded, the vinyl isn't great, the cabin looks iffy. Come on, just advertise it for what it is and sell the frickin' thing. Don't play sleazy used car sales guy and think you're going to dupe someone.

And 86formula242ls, if this is your boat then I know I've stepped on your toes. But, that's the way I see it.
TRASH ! BUT Not To Bad Of A Boat, Trailer $2000 An Boat $5000 No More Then $7000 Total.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:55 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

I also agree that it is a "nice" boat, not mint but nice, being into cars and boats my whole life, to me mint is just that MINT! anythign else is "very nice for the age"

I have fiends with MINT boats, they spend alot keeping them MINT "AmericanMuscle" 46 Cig, and "Clifford" 41 Saber, are 2 of them, you will not find a scratch in either..

As far as price, all boats are so everywhere in price, really depends on what the seller HAS to get and what a buyer thinks it's worth, In my opinion it is hard to compare ANY boat with another as every boat I ever saw was different no matter what.... Look at 311's you can buy a tird for 10,000 or get a MINT one for 40,000.... up to the seller and buyer..
Old 08-20-2009, 03:50 PM
Registered

The boat is sold. I didnt get what I wanted but its sold. It went for $8900 cash. Now im boatless! It was sad seeing it leave but man i cant keep up with the costs anymore. boat slips, repairs, gas insurance! Its a small mortgage!

Anyway i dont think I'll be back on this site for a while but thanks to everyone for all your tips over the years!
Old 08-20-2009, 04:18 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Good luck, hope you get another boat someday... it's a sickness...you can't go too long without one!
Old 08-21-2009, 06:45 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think in this economy you got all the money in the world for that boat. If the transaction went well then good job. I hope that some day you get back on your feet and re enter the fray.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:50 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also think you did well at $8900. Good job.