Winterizing 223ls

Notices
Formula

Winterizing 223ls

Old 10-27-2009, 02:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winterizing 223ls

1st time Winterizing our 223ls 454.. I live in Las Vegas.. So what is needed..
Old 10-27-2009, 07:01 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Well up north we change the oil then run anti freeze thru the system, many different ways to do it . I have a 5 gal jug fill it with anti freeze and hook it up to the muffs and run it thru. You just need to make sure your engine is up to temp then run it thru. Not to hard. What temps do you see in the winter?
Old 10-27-2009, 08:45 PM
Registered

masi, will the muffs on the drives pull the antifreeze from the bucket without the assistance of a pump? And if the answer is yes, does the antifreeze need to be gravity fed, i.e., up on the swim platform or can it be on the ground. Thanks!

BrooKLyn, sorry for the threadjack.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:01 PM
Registered

Yes, my bucket sits on the swimplatform with a short hose to the muffs. I have the alpha drive on mine, but I am sure it would be the same on the bravo. I bought the jug and hose kit from Overton`s you can make one up yourself not to hard. The most important thing is to get the engine to proper temp before you put the antifreeze thru.

I have a hard time spending $250 plus to have the Marina do this,oil,filter,antifreeze,outdrive oil,beer, less than $75
Old 10-28-2009, 07:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by masi242
Yes, my bucket sits on the swimplatform with a short hose to the muffs. I have the alpha drive on mine, but I am sure it would be the same on the bravo. I bought the jug and hose kit from Overton`s you can make one up yourself not to hard. The most important thing is to get the engine to proper temp before you put the antifreeze thru.

I have a hard time spending $250 plus to have the Marina do this,oil,filter,antifreeze,outdrive oil,beer, less than $75
Thank you.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:43 PM
Registered

no matter what temps you usually see anywhere in the US always prepare for a freeze . the weather can do odd things from year to year and its an expensive mistake to freeze one of these things . big blocks crack so easy . i geta kick out of the guys who do nothing cause they have a heated shop or garage ..... oh wait power outage in january, those never happen . some guys use rv antifreeze in thier blocks too just a litte freindlier for the tree huggers . i personally do the antifreeze and still drian it so the little bit that is in the block is green and wont freeze . or pull the engine every winter to add mods for more power !!!
Old 11-05-2009, 08:00 AM
Registered

so pull thermostat out. Poor anitfreeze in it and run motor till anit freeze spits out where ears go?

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...ID=1009&r=view

Are u talking about this>?

Last edited by BiLLyLaurianO; 11-05-2009 at 08:07 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:12 PM
Registered

I leave the thermostat in just warm up the engine to temp than run anti freeze thru it.

This is what I use from west marine just put on you muffs fill with af and your good to go. The tube it comes with is small I use a little bigger one lets more AF flow thru.
Attached Images