Engine Hatch Problems/Questions

Notices
Formula

Engine Hatch Problems/Questions

Old 04-14-2002, 07:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Hatch Problems/Questions

Guess I have the same problem as most of us older Formula guys. My engine hatch sags to one side....I have taken the hatch apart and made sure it was dry. This helped alot but it still lifts with a sag on oneside. I have to raise it 3-4 inches then go back and lift it by hand because it catches on one side. Then I go back and let the hatch actuator lift it the rest of the way....I am "restoring" the engine compartment while the engine is out and was wondering if anyone has done away with the actuator and put is gas shocks? I think this would look "cleaner" and give me more room to work around the engine. Does this sound like a good idea to everyone? My actuator is located on the side of the engine compartment close to one of the batteries. A real pain to work around. I don't think there is enough room to mount the actuator anywhere else though....This is for my 86 F3LS......Any ideas appreciated....

"Bad-Habit"
Old 04-15-2002, 09:00 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree that the gas type lifts look cleaner and would be out of the way but I'd hate to be under the hatch if one of those gave out. I'd feel very uncomfortable working under it without some form of mechanical support. I don't know how heavy yours is but I'd hate have mine come crashing down.
I'll stick to my powered screw jack, thank you very much.
Old 04-16-2002, 12:30 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

How about the Gas powered one on one side to assist the electric one???

Jon
Old 04-16-2002, 06:28 PM
Registered

I feel really dumb saying this.....You know I never thought of that!!! I Still would like to do away with the motor or at least get it out of the way but if all else dosn't work that's an idea....Has anybody else with a "saggin" motor hatch tried this????

"Bad-Habit"
Old 04-16-2002, 11:01 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 302 that had gas shocks on either side of the hatch and it held no problem The hatch is large and had 1 inch plywood on it, plus the foam and vynal.

Jon
Old 04-20-2002, 02:34 PM
Registered

This seems to be a topic that reappears every othe month. Has anyone ever contacted Formula and ask what they recomed I belive that would be a good thing for them to come up eith a solution. Anyway to help out the situation I really Armor all the side that sticks it helps release the sag side when you hit the switch at least you dont have to walk back and help up the engine cover. You wuld think Formula would be embarassed to think about how much we spent and love our boats as to let us look so cheap that our motors covers want even open on there own power
Jrocket
Old 04-22-2002, 08:23 AM
Registered

I had lots of sag/distrotion in my engine hatch when I got the boat (1984 F-402). The first thing I did was to remove the cushion, stand it on end, and let it drain/weep water for a couple of months. It's really much lighter now. Second was once the cushion was off you could see where the hatch structure was flexing. I added several layers of carbon fiber to the top side of the hatch, which helped stiffen it a lot. Finally I added an aluminum stiffener all the way across the rear of the hatch where the hinges bolt, and replaced all the loose and bent (because they had been loose I'm sure) bolts with new stainless fasteners, washers, and locking nuts.

You can still see the hatch structure flexing some if you shake the hatch when open, but it's MUCH better.

I'm still thinking of dumping the heavy padded cover for a smooth glass top panel and a set of race scoops, but havn't gotten around to it yet.

-Greg
Old 04-22-2002, 09:41 AM
JON242

I have an 86 242LS and I did pretty much the same stuff that GregP did except the carbon fiber. It improved the problem but did not correct it completely. I talked to the guys at Formula and they admitted it was a poor design. In 87 they added what they call a torsion bar which supports the side that sags. They faxed me a drawing which I can fax to you if you like but I've heard it doesn't really solve the problem either. I've thought about adding a gas shock to one or both sides or adding a second screw jack but I'm not sure of the best way to go. It does look like crap when you have the hatch raised. There's got to be a better way.

Old 04-22-2002, 10:23 AM
Registered

Well if thet redesigned in 87 my 91 sitll has the problem! Just cuss evertime you open it cause less changing the whole design I dont think it has a good fix!!
Old 04-22-2002, 04:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My '93 252SS does NOT sag. Even, steven, it raises correctly.
The lift mechanism in 93 was mounted to the transom (center) & in the center of the hatch. It comes very close to the distributor when closed but has adequate clearance. Maybe you can move yours to the center?????? Works great!! The 252SS covers were an exercise in "stiffness" as they also included the rear seat in the glass casting. HEAVY!!
Now on my 312 , the hatch itself pushes up in the center (flexes) & at the rear of the panel & does look rather "cheap" when opening it. Closed it looks fine. Too bad there is not a Formula glass/carbon fiber stiffening bar engineered by Formula to fix this.