Notices
Formula

400SS...Gas or Diesel?

Old 01-22-2010, 05:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 619 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Mentalpause
Hasn't someone on this site already told you that you know nothing about Formula.

Seriously (because my last comment was not), after moving from go fast to the Formula SS series, I would go with diesels. As Selpel said it well, it depends on what you are buying the boat for. I found coming out of go fast that I over estimated the need for speed in the switch. Not to offend any Formula fans here, but going 55-60 MPH in an SS series boat is a snoozer. There is nothing about it that will get your adrenaline going. That line is not made for that, but they cruise at 30 or 35 in exceptional comfort extremely well. And my wife absolutely loves it.

That's what my personal experience was from the switch. I'm sure others feel differently.
True, going 60 is not like going 80 in my cig was but at 60 i can still keep up with some boats on the poker runs, when i have run with my buddies cigs they still stay with me if i was going 40-50 i don't think that would be the case.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I heard you can get 600's as an option...... diesels would be nice but 600's would do it for me.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:05 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

considering a new 40SS with either 525s or diesels is a half a Mil boat is fuel price even important??????
Thats like worrying about the fuel milage of your new Ferrari,, if you can afford a half Mil boat/car who the fuk cares what milage it gets..
I mean cmon really,if you can afford a half million dollar toy gas milage is not a consideration..

Last edited by HTRDLNCN; 01-23-2010 at 03:13 AM.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its not just the mileage...The fuel consumption was referring to range. We boat across Lake Michigan, which round tip could be 180 miles.

Last edited by Back4More; 01-23-2010 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:47 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HTRDLNCN
considering a new 40SS with either 525s or diesels is a half a Mil boat is fuel price even important??????
Thats like worrying about the fuel milage of your new Ferrari,, if you can afford a half Mil boat/car who the fuk cares what milage it gets..
I mean cmon really,if you can afford a half million dollar toy gas milage is not a consideration..
I know what your saying, but I disagree. I hear that all the time. No matter how much money a person has, it's still no fun putting a $1000 worth of fuel in your boat for a weekend. It really is important if your considering a new boat. A diesel probably gets 50% better fuel economy as a 525 boat.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:12 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Hasn't someone on this site already told you that you know nothing about Formula.

Seriously (because my last comment was not), after moving from go fast to the Formula SS series, I would go with diesels. As Selpel said it well, it depends on what you are buying the boat for. I found coming out of go fast that I over estimated the need for speed in the switch. Not to offend any Formula fans here, but going 55-60 MPH in an SS series boat is a snoozer. There is nothing about it that will get your adrenaline going. That line is not made for that, but they cruise at 30 or 35 in exceptional comfort extremely well. And my wife absolutely loves it.

That's what my personal experience was from the switch. I'm sure others feel differently.

Ya, ya, ya.. Scott Porter said he would hook me up with some 700's and nxt's and he would lengthen the engine compartment to house the Cummins or Yanmar 480 package if I desire to go that route... Where is Magic Float when you need him..write it up .....
Old 01-23-2010, 11:12 AM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Jassman
Ya, ya, ya.. Scott Porter said he would hook me up with some 700's and nxt's and he would lengthen the engine compartment to house the Cummins or Yanmar 480 package if I desire to go that route... Where is Magic Float when you need him..write it up .....
Can you have it in about 3 months?
Old 01-23-2010, 04:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Can you have it in about 3 months?
I thought you said about 45 days before your wife comes to visit me.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:39 PM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Jassman
I thought you said about 45 days before your wife comes to visit me.
That was FOR 45 days - not in 45 days
Old 01-25-2010, 12:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 619 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Back4More
Its not just the mileage...The fuel consumption was referring to range. We boat across Lake Michigan, which round tip could be 180 miles.
Thats about the same as us running to Catalina and back. The only time i stopped and fueled before coming back was when we ran down in really rough stuff, had to be on and off the throttles most of the way there so was never able to cruise.

When i have done the 200 + mile runs i stop and fill up halfway. I might be able to make it but not worth the chance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.