Stuck rear engine mount bolt

Notices
Formula

Stuck rear engine mount bolt

Old 02-11-2010, 03:55 PM
Where To
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Softer than the cast bellhousing. Steel nut overtightened =broken inner transom assembly.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:29 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by ThirdBird
I've often wondered why they use aluminum nuts anyway, what's the purpose of that material choice?

So that they corrode all to chit, and then you break chit trying to take it apart, leading to parts sales! Parts sales is a good thing, especially when you are the only game in town.

Kinda like reactor parts, their cheap too, aren't they.

Last edited by RaggedEdge; 02-11-2010 at 05:33 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have taken the flame wrench to them BUT would not recommend it. It was a last resort and it was getting dark out and i wanted to go home! Keep soaking for a few days and give it a wack each time with BFH (Big F__in Hammer)
Old 02-14-2010, 06:04 AM
Registered

Still working on it. Tried for an hour or so heating it up and used my standard impact wrench...didnt want to know. If only people have the forethought to put a little anti sieze when they put these things together. I was thinking the same about why they use different metals for the bolt and nut but i agree you dont want to wreck your transom plate if the thing siezes.

I'll keep trying but this has set me back big time..at least i understand more about how these things are put together. All the info you guys have given me is helpful so it's much appreciated.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:29 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The bolt is not turning at all? there is a little slot that the nut sits in to keep it from turning ....maybe the bolt has lossened enough to let the nut drop down out of the slot and is spinning?
Old 02-14-2010, 08:39 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Be VERY carefull with anti seize! You need to make sure you use the proper one. We often times call it always seize. If you use the allum based stuff that most stores carry it will be worse then putting it in dry. I have found that when in doubt use white lithium paste. The Merc stuff is very good as well.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:17 AM
Registered

Thumbs down

The bolt is not turning at all, i've twisted a 1/2 inch extension bar already, admittedly it wasn't the toughest extension bar in the world but i've never done that before on anythnig else. I've had someone else keep an eye while i'm using the impact wrench and confirmed it isn't turning at all.

Thanks for the heads up on anti-sieze audiofn.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:18 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cut the heads off the bolt, pull the motor off the studs. With the motors out you can get in there cut the stud right above the nut and slid the nut out of the cup.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by formula 382 sr-1
Cut the heads off the bolt, pull the motor off the studs. With the motors out you can get in there cut the stud right above the nut and slid the nut out of the cup.
Yeah i think that i could end up by doing that. Do you reckon grind the head off or is there another way. Not too keen on too many sparks flying around the engine bay?!
Old 02-15-2010, 01:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blitz5730
Yeah i think that i could end up by doing that. Do you reckon grind the head off or is there another way. Not too keen on too many sparks flying around the engine bay?!
Yea I know but thats what we had to do in our 87 272 Formula. Do it slow and try to keep the heat down, If the bolts are not stuck it the bushing the motor should come out. Then you can get in there and cut the bolt just above the nut and slide the nut out of the slot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.