Formula 255 Liberator

Notices
Formula

Formula 255 Liberator

Old 02-01-2011, 06:46 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so basically they take my street carb and make it marine worthy?
Old 02-01-2011, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by machloosy
86242ls, what are j-tubes? And spink thanks for the info that's kind of an important little detail to know... the whole bomb thing. Unfortunately it IS a double pumper
So...heads up...since it is a double pumper...get the J tubes and go for it. Word to the wise: double check the front bowl clearence with the OMC T-Stat housing. It's very close with the MerCruiser but works...I'm not sure about the OMC set up. A MerCruiser housing may work...this is worth doing some pre-planning before you get to the WTF stage.

Here's what it looks like on a Merc 5.7...this is a pic of a 355 in my brother's '83 Formula F3.

Notice the "J Tube" bowl vents....also how close the front bowl is to the T-Stat housing....double check this.

If you can make it work with out too many gymnastics this is for sure the best way to go.

Last edited by sprink58; 02-01-2011 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:50 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

WOW talk about close clearence!!! Thanks a ton for the pic, that makes a world of difference and now that J-tube makes sense. I think I intend to clean the motor and see if she runs like the seller and claimed and as soon as I establish that I have a solid motor on my hands, we'll start the modding process. Next question... Hull thru pipes? Is there a way to route them straight out the back using my existing manifolds?? Should I post up pics for reference?
Old 02-02-2011, 05:42 PM
Registered

Hull thru pipes?

Don't do it...it's not worth the trouble and the noise will drive you nuts. With a stock motor you might even loose power.

You got to trust me on this one. There are a lot of things you can do to make your boat run better...thats not one of them.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:15 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

sprink, I suddenly feel like a little boy trying to rationalize a BB gun... They sound amazing and your probably right, the massive drop in back pressure isn't going to be nice to my power which is already lacking with an OMC 260. Really?? No Hull Thru Pipes??? PLEASE!!!
Old 02-03-2011, 08:19 AM
Registered

sprink, I suddenly feel like a little boy trying to rationalize a BB gun... They sound amazing and your probably right, the massive drop in back pressure isn't going to be nice to my power which is already lacking with an OMC 260. Really?? No Hull Thru Pipes??? PLEASE!!!
I'll tell you this for true...If I had the choice to buy a 233 or 242 Formula with Thru Hull or thru the drive...I would go with the thru drive every time. All you are doing is creating a new "rot spot" in the transom.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:46 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

sprink you've successfully rained on my parade and my sincerest apologies to whoever's thread we have completely and utter high jacked. New kid with a bird here and I'm excited
Old 02-04-2011, 11:10 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

I'm going to have to disagree on the through hull exhaust! If your running a stock engine up to maybe 330 hp then you most likely won't notice much. Beyond that it's almost manditory. I've got a 242 with the silent thunder platform with a 525 hp 440 bbc. I gained about 1-2 mph by drilling the bottom of my platform with 2 4" holes on bottom of each side. This reduced the back pressure and didn't allow the platform to fill with water, so it would be lighter. The exhaust hole on the through hub exhaust is small and restrictive. Dennis Miller goes into some detail on this and in smaller engines the venturi effect from the prop can actually help on smaller engines but on more powerful engines thru hub is going to be an hp killer.

As far as rot caused be the exhaust ports, I would disagree there as well.. These are above the water and if sealed right they are not going to leak. And last, the noise isn't bad at all, it all depends on what you like.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:08 PM
Registered

sprink you've successfully rained on my parade and my sincerest apologies to whoever's thread we have completely and utter high jacked. New kid with a bird here and I'm excited
No problem...it was my thread to begin with. Besides all that...my thoughts on the thru hull deal is my opinion...right or wrong. Having said that...when I build a pair of Badd Ass 383's for my boat that will be spinning upwards of 6000 RPM I might even do it my self.

I kind of look at STRAIGHT thru hull on a stock 260 HP engine
like headers on a stock smog engine in a car...not worth the effort.

You should see all of the gymnastics the thru hull go fast guys here in Florida are going thru just to comply with the USCG/FMC noise rules.

I'm just sayin...

Last edited by sprink58; 02-04-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:10 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sprink, I'm not gonna disagree with the Noise rule issues, a good friend of mine has a 2900 Endeavor with twin worked 454's (535hp and 538hp) that has captains choice due to some of there sheriffs around here. Plus Thru Hull is a big expense I likely don't need on a stock 260OMC. With that said, a 383 would definitely get the treatment. I'm pretty sure the noise won't ever bother me... My cars and bikes are pretty load and I like it!!! This year is all about getting the boat in the water and enjoying it. She'll see more wax then performance parts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.