Formula 255 Liberator

Notices
Formula

Formula 255 Liberator

Old 03-08-2011, 07:39 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is good stuff. Question; when you say you found a transom assembly, you do or don't mean the entire back of the boat? Do you just mean the mounting bracket that goes on the inside of the hull transom?
Old 03-08-2011, 04:51 PM
Registered

drink a beer to the transom being solid. not fun. have a buddy up here with a 81' 255 non liberator with no transom core left. i believe he will drive it till it rips out. hahaha. his is yellow too. did they come in any other color or probably not huh.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:03 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by machloosy
that is good stuff. Question; when you say you found a transom assembly, you do or don't mean the entire back of the boat? Do you just mean the mounting bracket that goes on the inside of the hull transom?
The transom assembly generaly speaking is everything associated with the stern drive that mounts directly to the transom...inside and outside. I my case...I am replacing all of that for the starboard drive.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:51 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Glass included??? See this OMC small block single is gonna be a dog... Especially when the hull is good for 70+ so I'm trying to decide if I just flip the boat or really put the time in. If I do put the time in, I'm looking at not only the inner transom rebuild, but a lot of glass work to go twins. I did call Formula last night to confirm the boat IS a 233LS original even the seating vinyl and motor is original....
Old 03-10-2011, 08:04 AM
Registered

Glass included??? See this OMC small block single is gonna be a dog... Especially when the hull is good for 70+ so I'm trying to decide if I just flip the boat or really put the time in. If I do put the time in, I'm looking at not only the inner transom rebuild, but a lot of glass work to go twins. I did call Formula last night to confirm the boat IS a 233LS original even the seating vinyl and motor is original....
I don't need to do any fiberglass work...I'm strictly direct parts replacement at this point.

In you case...and understand I am putting myself in your chair when I say this...suggest that you stay with single power. To convert from stringer drive OMC to Merc you will do some glass work but not a tremendous amount. If you can get that 454/Bravo combination for $1500, spend another $500~$1000 rigging it in your boat, you will have an instant 60~65 MPH boat with that power alone with the potential for much more.

I don't have a clue about what you have invested in the 233 but I'm guessing you bought it "right". Putting it all in perspective, if you end up with $5K~$6K total invested in the 233LS to have a few years fun...you're WAY ahead of the curve!! Think about it...you'll be boating this season and the next 2 or 3 at least, running next to guys that have 15~20 times as much money tied up to get the same enjoyment...it's a no brainer in my book.

If your boat is solid...and meets your needs...the numbers work.

Just my thoughts...

Last edited by sprink58; 03-10-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:19 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Wise counsel sir! I like it. Title figured out?
Old 03-11-2011, 07:58 PM
Registered

Wise counsel sir! I like it. Title figured out?
I thought you would think so...and yes....getting close.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:19 PM
Registered

OK...test ran the starboard motor on the floor and discovered a big vacuum leak under the Q-Jet. Seems the PO or one of his Monkeys had removed the carb for some reason and didn't replace the torn manifold gasket!! They also took a pair of pliers to the fuel line inlet at the carb and effed that up...I replaced the gasket but need to still replace the inlet. A$$holes...anyway...oil was milky so we changed it and the plugs, set the timing and it started right up. Ran it a while to see if there were any manifold/riser issues and to watch the oil. After about 20 min. all was ok...I'm encouraged...oil pressure is about 65 psi and temp is about 140.

Going to clean up the bilge, install new gimball bearing, and all of the bellows in the new gimball asembly. In goes the gimball assembly followed by the motor. I have good rams on both drives but may have some pump issues...this will be checked out. Both drives will get water pumps and new oil...maybe launch next weekend.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:44 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Vacuum leaks suck! Been through it a ton of times on sbc's so glad to hear you figured it out. Hopefully that milky oil is a fluke and your good to go from here on out. Launch in a week would be cool!!! By the way, come to find out, boat owner doesn't know his boat and its a 454/velvet drive/trs (single) combo... Sitting back and thinking before I jump. That tranny means a lot of work moving the motor
Old 03-14-2011, 12:00 PM
Registered

Vacuum leaks suck! Been through it a ton of times on sbc's so glad to hear you figured it out. Hopefully that milky oil is a fluke and your good to go from here on out. Launch in a week would be cool!!! By the way, come to find out, boat owner doesn't know his boat and its a 454/velvet drive/trs (single) combo... Sitting back and thinking before I jump. That tranny means a lot of work moving the motor
OK...that changes things quite a bit...I think I would pass. Put that rig in good operating condition, stash some cash and be in a position to jump on good deals as they come along.

Last edited by sprink58; 03-14-2011 at 12:16 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.