Upgraging Stock GPS

Notices
Formula

Upgraging Stock GPS

Old 03-25-2010, 01:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgraging Stock GPS

I want to upgrade my stock Raytheon gps with a new or better used unit that will fit the existing space. What I'd like to have is a color unit with bottom topographic maps so when I go into unfamiliar lakes I can have a better idea of my surroundings . What have you replaced yours with and what suggestions do you have? here is before and after pics of the dash upgrade I am doing.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails Upgraging Stock GPS-dash-pic.jpg   Upgraging Stock GPS-dash-pic-2.jpg  
Old 03-26-2010, 07:15 AM
Where To
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think you will find a direct replacement for your old plotter. But not to worry, most come with a mounting bracket and several newer models have an internal antenna! A blank cover mounted from behind your panel and then the new unit mounted to it maybe?

I have a Raymarine 435i which has been retired, but if you can find one used, they are nice units. With a color display and Navionic’s compatible card you won’t have any problems finding your way around. If you choose a newer Raymarine model, look to spend around $1000-$1200 plus the cost of the chartography.

This is just one thought, I’m sure others will chime in with their valuable opinion! Other units like NavMan, Garmin, and Lorance might fit your needs and budget as well!

Dave
Old 03-31-2010, 04:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Dave! We got started re installing everything yesterday. Heres a cell phone pic. The cluster isn't mounted yet, I am going to try and get that done this evening. Bad pic but I think it will be worth all the hassle
Attached Thumbnails Upgraging Stock GPS-img00120-20100330-1858.jpg  
Old 03-31-2010, 04:39 PM
Where To
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking good!

Dave