Notices
Formula

Battery Question

Old 05-02-2010, 07:11 PM
Burnin' Love
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Question

On my 07 292, my starboard side battery used for starting the boat, had discharged enough over the winter, that it had to be replaced. Upon putting the new battery in, I noticed I was getting some spark off the terminals. My question is this. With both battery switches off, is there still something that would be hot, and putting a drain on the battery? I also noticed the stereo control pad light up briefly, when attaching the cables. Is the factory amp aways hot?
Old 05-03-2010, 07:10 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The stereo stuff is hot for the memory. Depending on some things it could draw enough for a spark. You can take the fuse out of the memory line to see if that is what is causing the problem. The memory lead is ussually the yellow one.

Jon
Old 05-03-2010, 07:34 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There should be a breaker labeled "Constant Power" somewhere. It's for stereo memory, bilge pump(s), etc..

Short answer - You're probably fine. Happened to me, too...
Old 05-04-2010, 07:09 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You can also test the draw with a meter if you have one, or even a test light works. It could be as Cspray said your bilge pumps as well. Some times they will run for a second or two when you first put power to them. If you take a test light and remove the ground wire on the battery then put the test light between the batterys ground terminal and the ground wire, if the light comes on you have a draw. Depending on if it is bright or dim (asuming you do not have a newer LED one) you can some what determne the level of draw. Meters are of course better for this but the light works very well.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:42 AM
Burnin' Love
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replys guys. My boat sat all last year, so I'm sure even that little bit of draw was enough to kill the battery. I would assume as long as it is driven on a weekly basis I should have no problem. Again, thanks.

Last edited by FRMULTR; 05-04-2010 at 09:27 PM.