Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Formula
props in or out.. that is the question?? >

props in or out.. that is the question??

Notices
Formula

props in or out.. that is the question??

Old 05-20-2010, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please forgive my ignorance, what is ment by spinning "in" or "out" ??
Old 05-20-2010, 08:15 AM
Where To
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by theadamv1
Please forgive my ignorance, what is ment by spinning "in" or "out" ??
Spinning Out: Port drive = left hand rototion prop, Starboard drive = right hand rotation.

Spinning in: Port drive = right hand rototion prop, Starboard drive = left hand rotation.

Dave
Old 05-20-2010, 08:39 AM
Where To
VIP Member

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
There is a little difference between the two rotations when it comes to docking, does require a different mind set. Last three boats going back to 1996 have all spun in, no Formulas but at docking speed I don't think brand is relevant. You get to a point where it seems normal, I can usually put it any place I want it to go.

I did have to take the wheel of a Formula once in a tight spot as it was about to T-bone "My Way" on a Fun Run few years ago.
Throwing stones in the Formula House will not make you anymore friends. As for "taking the wheel" I'll let him respond, as he can and will fight his own battle.

As for the way my boat docks...I think I have logged enough hours with twin engines to know that my boat doesn't like to spin in around the docks. You, "The master of it all" seem to know everything about our brand without ever owning one! But, I challenge you this, how many 353 FasTechs have you driven? With my set up? Aggressive 5 blade props? I know the answer is none. So please don't take this the wrong way, but don't respond to every thread that I do and try to belittle me or my driving ability on this forum. Take it to the TIBBC if you want, but not on threads that people are looking for accurate information, which you cannot provide to them. Your opinion is not always the gospel.

Dave
Old 05-20-2010, 09:23 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by axapowell
Spinning Out: Port drive = left hand rototion prop, Starboard drive = right hand rotation.

Spinning in: Port drive = right hand rototion prop, Starboard drive = left hand rotation.

Dave
Thanks for the info, this is my 1st boat with twins so still not up on all the in's & out's of them.... Do you know how a 311 is from the factory..
Old 05-20-2010, 09:26 AM
Registered

Ready for my opinion.........Several years ago we had a 353 that needed a little more bow lift at high speed so I knew that turning inwards we achieve that.....but want Formulas opinion.so I spoke with tech at the plant. They advise me NOT to turn inwards because of handling at high speeds they also stated it may make the boat harder to dock. I ask for explanation and the thought that the water being forced back at the last step would make the boat tend to hover in one place if throttles were used to dock.
So we tried it and the boat had more top end but slowed in cruise or mid-range, and at an idle seem to dock the same in or out...but add throttle and it did make it harder to dock, as the owner drove most of the time at 50 to 75% throttle we decided to turn out was the correct thing to do.
.....................Just my 2 cents worth......Capt. Steve
Old 05-20-2010, 11:08 AM
Registered

hey yall.....Thanks for the threads....I can read this **** all day.. Sad I never voluntarily read a book in school on my own, but love Tech stuff.. BIG help and since I have all new paint.. I'll keep them out for putting in my dock at Norris lake TN.. Hope to run into some of you someday on the water.
FORMULA ROCKS
Old 05-20-2010, 06:58 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by axapowell
Throwing stones in the Formula House will not make you anymore friends. As for "taking the wheel" I'll let him respond, as he can and will fight his own battle.

As for the way my boat docks...I think I have logged enough hours with twin engines to know that my boat doesn't like to spin in around the docks. You, "The master of it all" seem to know everything about our brand without ever owning one! But, I challenge you this, how many 353 FasTechs have you driven? With my set up? Aggressive 5 blade props? I know the answer is none. So please don't take this the wrong way, but don't respond to every thread that I do and try to belittle me or my driving ability on this forum. Take it to the TIBBC if you want, but not on threads that people are looking for accurate information, which you cannot provide to them. Your opinion is not always the gospel.

Dave

Honestly Dave I was under the impression that the discussion was about prop rotation and it's effects. My comment was in terms of docking, nothing more. Where you get the impression that I am being critical of your boat, your set up, or your docking is beyond me. None of the three were even mentioned. I responded because I have had three different boats over 14 years that were spinning in and all three have acted in a similiar maner around the dock.

I'll stand on my comment, and my feeling that brand has little to do with the effect at docking speed. Inboard rotation will change and somewhat diminish the response around the dock. But it is something one can learn to live with. Maybe to be real clear here I should say it is something I have chosen to live with.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:30 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by theadamv1
Thanks for the info, this is my 1st boat with twins so still not up on all the in's & out's of them.... Do you know how a 311 is from the factory..
99% of the 311's i have seen spin out.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:40 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 for 311 spinning out.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:38 AM
Where To
VIP Member

Originally Posted by selpel
Ready for my opinion......... they also stated it may make the boat harder to dock. I ask for explanation and the thought that the water being forced back at the last step would make the boat tend to hover in one place if throttles were used to dock........Just my 2 cents worth......Capt. Steve
Steve,
Your 2 cents make sense. If I try to throttle around the dock, the boat becomes more difficult to handle. I think with the higher idle (850-900 rpms) and the aggressive 5 blades, my idle speed is pretty fast. Therefore, making it harder to back up because of the water being forced to the last step.

I guess it comes down to what speeds I'll be running the boat this season. I'm thinking of going back to out!

Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.