Dumb fuel capacity question 1987 242 SS

Notices
Formula

Dumb fuel capacity question 1987 242 SS

Old 07-15-2010, 09:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dumb fuel capacity question 1987 242 SS

I'm wondering....the fuel capacity for my boat is 107 gallons......and what seems to be the last 1/4 tank is colored red and called the reserve.......is this pretty much a 1/4 tank? or is it less? Pretty much trying to find out if "according to the gauge" fuel consumption is linear across the entire gauge in case i wanna run it low on fuel.
I'm sure it sounds like a dumb question but i've had vehicles where the reserve looks like x % of fuel and ends up being much much less. Thanks
Old 07-15-2010, 01:27 PM
Registered

I think it is probaly a little off. The tank is not flat on the bottom. So you will have some fuel that you will never get out. Can you do me a favor? I need a picture of your fuel level sender wiring. Can you get one?
Old 07-15-2010, 02:20 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

not a dumb question but every boat is gonna be a bit differant they are 20* years old now, do some test, run it to a half then filler up after that baby step your way to a quater etc etc, most boats Ive ever been in with a 1/4 tank usually run out
Old 07-15-2010, 03:52 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Head out with a five gallon can one afternoon when you are empty. then you will know how far you can push. I assume you are on Sebago by the pic you posted of your boat. You are never more tha a few miles from fuel on this lake.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jmrapp
I think it is probaly a little off. The tank is not flat on the bottom. So you will have some fuel that you will never get out. Can you do me a favor? I need a picture of your fuel level sender wiring. Can you get one?

Sure...point me in the right direction as to where to find it and i'll take a pic tomorrow as it's dark here now.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:07 PM
Registered

I think I have mine figured out. I was having a issue and I might have it fixed. It would be in front of the motor, under the rear seat in the bilge.