Removing exhaust tips from transom? >

Removing exhaust tips from transom?

Notices
Formula

Removing exhaust tips from transom?

Old 07-24-2010, 10:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing exhaust tips from transom?

I've decided I need to quiet the boat down a little. We like to run some of the rivers and through the no wake zones it's nearly impossible to talk. I've removed the silent thunder and I'm running an aftermarket platform. I'd like to pull the factory tips off the transom and install a set of Dana Marine muffler/tips. Anyone removed thier tips, how hard was it? My concern is whether I'll be able to get the old tips off since the boat is a 1989? I don't want to remove the manifolds and rubber tubes and have to worry about any leaks or replacing the manifold gaskets. I was hoping I could pull them off from the outside of the boat. Has anyone removed the tips from the back, I think I remember the last person had to remove the manifolds/tubes and pound them back out from the inside? If it's going to be that huge of a project I think I'll just try the slip on mufflers instead, but I really want to run nicer looking tips/mufflers than stock.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I did the same project recently on my 95 271.
The oe tips came off with a bit of tapping and prying and grunting, not too bad.
On my boat the exhaust tube to the transom was stiff enough that I was able to line up the inlet side of the new muffler to the exhaust tube without taking the tube off the riser or the taking the riser off the maniflod.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great that's what I was hoping to hear!