272 or 292 or 311

Notices
Formula

272 or 292 or 311

Old 07-29-2010, 08:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

candyman, theres a 272 sr-1 on nh craigslist located in southern nh with smallblocks..check it out
Old 07-29-2010, 08:56 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by handfulz28
Mostly. There's probably a little extra room in the cabin also; less than a foot difference there I'd guess.

IMHO, a 272 with small blocks or the 311. What ever happened to Mopower? He has a 272 with BIG BBC power that was 'only' in the 80s. I think a SBC powered 272 just makes more sense. Plenty of mods cheaply available, and Alpha drives are cheap too.

OR....I still miss my 311. Funny thing is, I think the cockpits are darn near identical size (at least it probably feels like it) between these 3 models. But the 311 has tons of room in the cabin, and if you get a bravo boat, you can have a little party in the engine room too.

Thing is, if you don't use all the cabin room it's kind of a waste. All 3 models handle water just fine. At the point water conditions make you think about which boat you're in, they're all going to have to slow down to be comfortable.
Handfulz is right ..the 311's cabin has more room than a 353 ....I know I have both ...when I sit in the 353 my head brushes the roof ....in the 311 there is a good 3-4 inches ...the lounge area is bigger in the 311 and the V berth is bigger ... IMO 311 is the finest formula has made ....m

Last edited by offthefront; 07-29-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:12 PM
Registered

Smile

Candyman, I just put my 311 on the market this week. If your looking for a REALY clean boat give me a call at 517-930-4157.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:46 AM
Registered

The 311 is such a beautiful boat. Timeless.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:41 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by candyman
My son is looking to upgrade from his 223 with a 454 to something bigger with twin big blocks. He's leaning towards the 292 but they don't seem to be as common as the other two. What kind of speeds are you guys seeing out of these and with what power and how is the ride. I've heard you can't beat the ride of the 311 but what are the main differences? I know the 292 and 311 both have the u-lounge, as opposed to straight couches, and a bathroom. Is the extra 2 feet on the 311 in the engine compartment?

Any thoughts are appreciated
Thanks
Candyman ....

I went from a 206 to a 311 w/bravo's. I looked at all of the above mentioned and after talking to friends of mine who have 311's one with trs drives and one with bravos I decided to buy a 311 w/bravo's.
Now that I have had it 4-5 years I absolutely love the boat. There is definiately more room in the engine compartment if the boat has bravo drives.
I totally agree with the fact there is more room in a 311 then a 353 (cabin).
As far as a ride goes ..... I live very close to Lake Ontario which can get very rough very quickly .... I wanted a boat I go in just about any water condition with in reason of coarse. The lake could have 1-2 foot chop and with in 2hrs be 5-6 rollers.
My 311 will go through it safely and comfortably. We cruise with a 291 and even he says it feels like a 27 foot or smaller boat when in the chit.
The other boat you could consider is a 336 which is the exact same hull as a 311 .... same length tip to tip .... but the cabin is smaller .... the entry to the cabin is much larger ... has the same design as your 382 .... big dash .... in my opinion this is a waste of space .... hence you loose cabin space and cockpit space.
With the swim platform molded to the hull it appears to much "higher" out the water not as sleek as a 311.
That would be a preference thing only.
In my honest opinion .... pound for pound you aren't going to find a better boat then a 311.
I spent many hours online searching for the "right boat" ....
What I came up with was Lake St. Claire Michigan had the most and best ones to pick at the time. The reason was majority of them were "rack stored" that means no sun or no water .... boats were perfect .... and they were fresh water boats.

Just my two cents for what ever it's worth.

Good Luck !

Jeff