382 Dash Removal

Notices
Formula

382 Dash Removal

Old 10-29-2010, 07:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 382 Dash Removal

Any tips on removing the "whole dash" on a 1997 382 Fastech or is this possible without removing the deck? I want to gell coat it white and it would be easer removed.

Thanks
Jeff Houghtaling
Old 10-30-2010, 08:34 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jeff H
Any tips on removing the "whole dash" on a 1997 382 Fastech or is this possible without removing the deck? I want to gell coat it white and it would be easer removed.

Thanks
Jeff Houghtaling
I'd like to do the same thing to my 336, I herd they can do it with the dash in place. Either way should be an interesting project and a great thread to follow. After that maybe we can get some ideas on relocating the ladder that never stops rattling. Good Luck
Old 11-02-2010, 07:18 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeff: just finished painting my dash silver in my 1997 419. Moved the windshield forward on the boat, removed interior in cockpit, sanded and painted (base coat/clear coat) at a local shop in Florida. The guy has custom painted many high dollar cigs, MTI's, etc. and he indicated that a good paint will work and look much better than gel coat. Suggest talking with some shops in your area and you might find that paint will look great and be much easier than removinng the entire dash piece, mine looks great silver. You might also find the dash has been bonded to the boat with Plexus which would make it nearly impossible to remove without damaging the dash or boat. My 2 cents. Good luck with the project.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:50 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 38fountainecman
Jeff: just finished painting my dash silver in my 1997 419. Moved the windshield forward on the boat, removed interior in cockpit, sanded and painted (base coat/clear coat) at a local shop in Florida. The guy has custom painted many high dollar cigs, MTI's, etc. and he indicated that a good paint will work and look much better than gel coat. Suggest talking with some shops in your area and you might find that paint will look great and be much easier than removinng the entire dash piece, mine looks great silver. You might also find the dash has been bonded to the boat with Plexus which would make it nearly impossible to remove without damaging the dash or boat. My 2 cents. Good luck with the project.
Definately the way to do it. Windshield is easy to remove and will give full access to the dash. I also agree with paint vs gelcoat, less likely to chip and won't yellow with prolonged sun exposure.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:20 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 38fountainecman
That sounds really cool, do you have any pics of the final product? Love those 419's!
Old 11-03-2010, 08:55 PM
Registered

38Fountain you are correct, looking in with the instrument pannel removed you can see the Plexus. taking the windshiled off is a piece of cake. although the front glass is a little scary (big and curved). I will now be doing the dash attached. thats a lot of masking, oh well. time to order supplies.
Thanks for the help guys.

Jeff
Old 11-04-2010, 12:11 PM
Registered

Will try and post some pics next week. Will be working on it this weekend.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:37 PM
Registered

Jeff,
I have the same year 382 and my dash looks terible. It is that dark grey color and a lot of it is faded, dull and scratched. I have tried everything to bring the shine back with no success. I would love to paint mine as well. I have redone the gauge panel in medium grey, new gauges, chrome etc. and it came out great but it made the rest of the dash look old and dated. Keep us posted on the project. Pictures would be great. I live up north and unfortunately the boat is in cold storage so no painting till spring....
Old 11-13-2010, 05:20 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I've seen some the dark dashes and most of them don't look to good, I'm just glad Formula changed them to all white after 98, they're not burning hot and look much better, good luck with redo guys.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:29 PM
Registered

Just finnished the dash refinnishing. I used gel coat, It looks great. much better than the original charcoal color. lots of work, but it will be worth it. cant figure out how to attach pics.
now its time for new guages and re finnish the dash pannels and the windshield frame.

Thanks for the advice.
Jeff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.