rebuild cost questions ?? >

rebuild cost questions ??

Notices
Formula

rebuild cost questions ??

Old 02-23-2011, 02:17 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

P.S. I took my boat in to have it winterized and ended up spending $3k lol. Can't remember the last bill for ANYTHING I did to it for under $1,000. I do tend to pay someone to do it because my job does not allow me a lot of extra time to work on it and I want to be in the water every weekend. I am also an extremist on preventative maintenance.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Audiofn
Clearly you have not purchased sails in a long time either. They can be WAY more.

The labor looks a little on the high side but not toally out of line. It can be a total PITA to pull a rusty motor apart. Make sure you keep up with things to keep it from rusting to keep future bills lower. You will hopeufully have a motor that will last a good long time now as long as it is maintained properly.
No sails lately....my sails are in pretty good shape !! Will be over maintaining the boat , thats for sure. Just a big lesson in the powerboating world i guess , wont ever buy another used boat unless its well gone thru. Found out the prop shaft was bent as well , so we should have a fantastic runing completely gone thru boat when all is said and done i reckon. Thanks for the reassurance guys , just wanted to make sure i wasnt being taken advantage of by thousands of dollars.
Old 10-05-2021, 04:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scagle1
Just got the bill on the boat and holy S!!!!...

am aware of cost of car engine rebuilds but....
454 merc 93 model = Spent 3k at the machine shop doing all work and parts, dealer pulled the motor , diassembled and it took some extra time for breakdown due to rust and water in motor, i took motor to machine shop and paid for that outta my pocket up front. Dealer then got motor back in pieces and reassembled , had to do new merc exhaust , and starter was bad so replaced it as well , a coupler assembley , the rest was gaskets and fluids and such and got a bill for over 6k. does this sound reasonable ?? 9k for a rebuild including exhaust and a starter on a 454.....Are boats really that much more than car motors to repair ?
so I had a maxum 2400 scr. It came with a mercuriser 350. And from the start I was wrenching almost every weekend. I put a Brand new complete drop in mercuriser 357 for 9,400k.