Notices
Formula

prop and speed for 24ls

Old 05-20-2011, 10:32 PM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 242LS
Just tested my 242LS with twin 350s after upgrading the intake manifolds and carburetors from 2 to 4 barrels - previous top speed was 56.0 GPS (on 1 ft chop, ocean) @ 4700 RPM. Tonight, I hit 58.4 GPS @ 5100 RPM on a fresh water lake. I'm hoping that translates to 60 in the ocean. Will find out next weekend.

The RPM sounds high for these engines, so I think I may increase the prop size a little. I currently have 13 7/8th, 21P 3 blade Quicksilver Lasers. What prop size/pitch do you guys recommend? My wife will love it if I need to order a couple of new props!
Is 5100 RPM enough to move to 4-blade OSI TURBO 14 1/2 in X 19 p? Smaller pitch, extra blade, larger diameter.... More top end????
Old 05-21-2011, 10:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I doubt you will gain any top end, you will gain on the cruising speed with a four blade, I was sent a 24 pitch 4 blade by bblades and tried it and pick up a gain on the cruising speed but nothing on the top end.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:07 AM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 86242ls
I doubt you will gain any top end, you will gain on the cruising speed with a four blade, I was sent a 24 pitch 4 blade by bblades and tried it and pick up a gain on the cruising speed but nothing on the top end.
Thanks - I'm going to call BBlades next week and order whatever props they recommend based on my numbers.

Pluggin' the Y-pipe and going to thru-hull today. I'm hoping it helps a little on speed, but I'm setting my expectations low - at least it will sound nice!