Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Formula
Finally removed silent thunder...now what??? >

Finally removed silent thunder...now what???

Notices
Formula

Finally removed silent thunder...now what???

Old 04-05-2011, 09:06 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Finally removed silent thunder...now what???

just my opinion, but I have always hated the silent thunder on formulas. Especially on the older models like my 272 sr1!

it is one thing that these hulls are notoriously slow, but at least we should sound like 100 mph! Again, my opinion.

So I finally removed the silent thunder platform from my 1988 272 SR1. Wow, that thing was pretty heavy for one guy. Now that it is gone the boat sounds absolutely awesome. I am so happy!!!!

2 problems though.....first and foremost....the transom is stained so very bad from exhaust. I have power washed it, spray nine'd it, bleche whited, Davis FSR, magic eraser...still nasty looking. Any suggestions???

Second, I still want a swim platform. I am going with a tubular aluminum I believe. Does anyone know if I need a custom one made or would one from a baja outlaw do it?
Old 04-05-2011, 10:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Originally Posted by Baja226sport
just my opinion, but I have always hated the silent thunder on formulas. Especially on the older models like my 272 sr1!

it is one thing that these hulls are notoriously slow, but at least we should sound like 100 mph! Again, my opinion.

So I finally removed the silent thunder platform from my 1988 272 SR1. Wow, that thing was pretty heavy for one guy. Now that it is gone the boat sounds absolutely awesome. I am so happy!!!!

2 problems though.....first and foremost....the transom is stained so very bad from exhaust. I have power washed it, spray nine'd it, bleche whited, Davis FSR, magic eraser...still nasty looking. Any suggestions???

Second, I still want a swim platform. I am going with a tubular aluminum I believe. Does anyone know if I need a custom one made or would one from a baja outlaw do it?
Dont do a tube one,it hurts your a$$ after a whyle sitting on the tubes..i would go fiberglass..

as for the exhaust srains, the stains may be burnt in the gel..try the http://www.fountainofyouthrestore.co...wer_One_1.html

saeems to work good on anything you put it on..if its inbeaded you may have to wetsant and buff it off..
Old 04-06-2011, 12:07 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would try On-Off or if you don't want to pay for the marine markup, go to a pool store or Home Depot and get Muriatic Acid.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:59 PM
Registered

I took mine off and used acetone to clean the stains and then buffed with rubbing compoud and 3m finesse. Came out great.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:05 PM
Registered

I Removed My Silent Thunder And What I Did Was Wet Sand With 1200 Grit And Then Buff The Gel Coat .
Old 04-07-2011, 05:56 PM
Registered

I just compounded the transom today. It is alot better than it was before. However, still looks like crap!!!

I think I may try wet sanding and buffing. I am just a little worried as my boat is painted. I am afraid I will just totally wreck the finish....

Last edited by Baja226sport; 04-08-2011 at 08:37 AM.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:27 AM
Registered

If you dont feel good wet sanding and buffing it yourself, any local bodyshop or good detail guy can do it.

There is nothing to it tho, start with 2500grit wet and if that does not knock it down, go to 2000grit wet. Then go to 2500, 3000, buff. Keep the paper and surface wet, use a block, and keep it flat. Careful on edges as it will burn through quickly. Dont get crazy with the buffer speed or angle as it will burn through as well.

Is your paint Base coat/clear coat or single stage?

Hope this helps, good luck.

Brad
Old 04-08-2011, 02:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 598 Formula
If you dont feel good wet sanding and buffing it yourself, any local bodyshop or good detail guy can do it.

There is nothing to it tho, start with 2500grit wet and if that does not knock it down, go to 2000grit wet. Then go to 2500, 3000, buff. Keep the paper and surface wet, use a block, and keep it flat. Careful on edges as it will burn through quickly. Dont get crazy with the buffer speed or angle as it will burn through as well.

Is your paint Base coat/clear coat or single stage?

Hope this helps, good luck.

Brad
A good friend of mine owns a classic car restoration business. He does all body work and paint, gonna have him give me a hand.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:57 AM
Registered

Sounds good, let us know how it turns out.
Good luck!

Brad
Old 04-10-2011, 08:52 AM
Registered

it is working, looking better, but it is going to be a bit of a project.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.