silent thunder gasket

Notices
Formula

silent thunder gasket

Old 04-20-2011, 06:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default silent thunder gasket

Does anyone know if the gasket/seal that goes around the perimeter of the silent thunder platform goes completely across the bottom or should there be an opening in the bottom somewhere to allow any water that gets in (between the platform and the transom) to drain out?

thanks
dennis
Old 04-21-2011, 02:19 PM
Registered

Received 125 Likes on 74 Posts

Not sure if is correct or not, but mine is ealed up 100% all the way around. I wouldn't think you would want water in there.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:48 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It goes all the way around, totally sealed. The exhuast tips are sealed seperately, isolating them from the back of the platform and transom. With everything sealed and working as designed, there should be no water behind the platform.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ThirdBird
It goes all the way around, totally sealed. The exhuast tips are sealed seperately, isolating them from the back of the platform and transom. With everything sealed and working as designed, there should be no water behind the platform.
Thanks, I'll do it that way. I guess the seam where the ends of the gasket meet should be on the top of the platform then.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:58 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ddabal
Thanks, I'll do it that way. I guess the seam where the ends of the gasket meet should be on the top of the platform then.
Yes, that would be good. I've rebuilt and resealed two Silent Thunder platforms but can't remember if the peripheral seal is one long piece. I guess so since you only mentioned one joint. Dab a little sealant at that joint.

Before you bolt that platform back up, check the wood core on the back of the platform carefully. If it's spongy, the u-bolts will pull into it and crack the fiberglass on the platform. If it is spongy, let us know, it can be fixed.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:13 AM
Registered

Received 125 Likes on 74 Posts

I plan to pull my platform off in the next couple of weeks. I just ordered the 4 doughnut gaskets from Formula for my 357 (the 4 gaskets with shipping was just under $50) Hopefully all goes well.