Bravo 3x problems, any suggestions? >

Bravo 3x problems, any suggestions?

Notices
Formula

Bravo 3x problems, any suggestions?

Old 04-26-2011, 08:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bravo 3x problems, any suggestions?

Hi everyone. I have a 2004 Formula 400ss with twin Merc 500 EFI motors and Bravo 3X drives. The motors and drives have about 150 hours. I have only put about 10 hours on the boat since buying it used last year. About two months ago, I got the boat dewinterized and took it out for its 2011 maiden voyage.

While docking, I realized that the shifter lever for the port motor was VERY VERY hard to move between F-N-R. When I was bringing the boat back into its slip, I almost had a MAJOR mishap. I realized that even though I had the shifter in the N or R position, it was still in F gear and moving forward.

Fortunately, I got the boat docked. I soon realized that I could still probably use the boat while waiting for my new main shift cable to arrive. I simply would dock with just 1 motor, then turn the port side on when out on the main lake, which would IMMEDIATELY put the boat into F gear on the port side and I would be fine as long as I was moving forward on the lake.

Everything seemed fine and I got used to it.

Last weekend, I noticed while idling that there was a knocking sound coming from the port side while at idle. It was hard to tell if it was occuring at speed, as the noise from the exhaust is so loud. We lifted the hatch, and it seemed much more like noise from the drive rather than the motor.

I ignored the issue, just assuming it was a related issue to the cable and went about my business. While coming home this past Sunday, at about max speed, I had an INSTANT loss of power on the port side. The motor seemed fine, but I got nothing out of the drive.

I turned the boat off, started up that motor to test and see what seemed to be happening... NO longer did I immediately move forward. It appeared that the drive was no longer catching into F gear. I could not switch between any gears. We limped home on one motor and I am trying to figure out what the issue may be.

Some people have told me that they think it could simply be the intermediary cable has come loose or is having an issue. Some have said I trashed the whole drive, and some think it could simply be the clutch.

My local lake and marinas are currently SLAMMED with work. I am at the point that I am considering pulling the drive and potentially doing any repairs myself, or at least taking the drive by itself to a shop for repairs. I am not going to give up 1/2 of my summer waiting for someone to repair or diagnose my issues.

I still don't have the main port shift cable in or installed.... but I suspect there is more at issue that just that piece.

Figured I would ask and see what anyone had to say.

Please don't just jump to conclusions on here as most do and tell me the worst possible outcome. I would appreciate educated responses and suggestions.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-26-2011, 08:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mroberts
Hi everyone. I have a 2004 Formula 400ss with twin Merc 500 EFI motors and Bravo 3X drives. The motors and drives have about 150 hours. I have only put about 10 hours on the boat since buying it used last year. About two months ago, I got the boat dewinterized and took it out for its 2011 maiden voyage.

While docking, I realized that the shifter lever for the port motor was VERY VERY hard to move between F-N-R. When I was bringing the boat back into its slip, I almost had a MAJOR mishap. I realized that even though I had the shifter in the N or R position, it was still in F gear and moving forward.

Fortunately, I got the boat docked. I soon realized that I could still probably use the boat while waiting for my new main shift cable to arrive. I simply would dock with just 1 motor, then turn the port side on when out on the main lake, which would IMMEDIATELY put the boat into F gear on the port side and I would be fine as long as I was moving forward on the lake.

Everything seemed fine and I got used to it.

Last weekend, I noticed while idling that there was a knocking sound coming from the port side while at idle. It was hard to tell if it was occuring at speed, as the noise from the exhaust is so loud. We lifted the hatch, and it seemed much more like noise from the drive rather than the motor.

I ignored the issue, just assuming it was a related issue to the cable and went about my business. While coming home this past Sunday, at about max speed, I had an INSTANT loss of power on the port side. The motor seemed fine, but I got nothing out of the drive.

I turned the boat off, started up that motor to test and see what seemed to be happening... NO longer did I immediately move forward. It appeared that the drive was no longer catching into F gear. I could not switch between any gears. We limped home on one motor and I am trying to figure out what the issue may be.

Some people have told me that they think it could simply be the intermediary cable has come loose or is having an issue. Some have said I trashed the whole drive, and some think it could simply be the clutch.

My local lake and marinas are currently SLAMMED with work. I am at the point that I am considering pulling the drive and potentially doing any repairs myself, or at least taking the drive by itself to a shop for repairs. I am not going to give up 1/2 of my summer waiting for someone to repair or diagnose my issues.

I still don't have the main port shift cable in or installed.... but I suspect there is more at issue that just that piece.

Figured I would ask and see what anyone had to say.

Please don't just jump to conclusions on here as most do and tell me the worst possible outcome. I would appreciate educated responses and suggestions.

Thanks in advance!
Sounhds like a problem I had. Wasn't the drive, but the coupler? Listen to your boat and act. Pretend it's your cardiologist talking to you.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:22 PM
Registered

Oh! Also, when the boat is now on the lift, I can easily spin the rear prop counter clockwise, with the inner prop then going clockwise..

BUT, if I try to turn it the other direction, it is nearly impossible!

This would leave me to believe that the drive is somehow still in gear?
Old 04-26-2011, 08:22 PM
Registered

Oh! Also, when the boat is now on the lift, I can easily spin the rear prop counter clockwise, with the inner prop then going clockwise..

BUT, if I try to turn it the other direction, it is nearly impossible!

This would leave me to believe that the drive is somehow still in gear?
Old 04-26-2011, 08:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
Sounhds like a problem I had. Wasn't the drive, but the coupler? Listen to your boat and act. Pretend it's your cardiologist talking to you.
can you elaborate?
Old 04-27-2011, 10:00 AM
Registered

mroberts - Try posting this in the technical section you will get more responses. This is not a FORMULA specific issue so it belongs there. I do NOT think starting/stopping motor in gear is a good thing, nor recommended. A lot of stress/strain on gears. Not a tech guy here, but unfortunately, I believe I remember this action trashing drives. Good luck.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:36 AM
Registered

Not addressing the shift issue when you first noticed is now going to be expensive. Sounds to me as if the Clutch was welding itself to the driven gear. Eventually the vertical shaft broke. Worst case scenario, gear set, bearings and possible vertical shelf. It would not hurt to have the lower disassembled for inspection either.